Would you buy one?

If they put a decent Diesel engine in it maybe but not with that petrol thing.

I wouldn't have an Evoque for anything - it's ugly

Then that would put the price up :)

I don't think they're ugly, just not practical as a family car.

I wonder how it'll all pan out though. Can't imagine our govt upsetting the Chinese too much.

Last edited:
The only good looking evoque is an on fire evoque.

Why on earth would anyone copy that vile abomination.
Love this.
So you dont like the evoque. Fine.
Why does that make it an abomination?

The Chinese have been copying things for ages, and the copies are generally a lot worse than the originals, due to the low grade materials which they use for components - alloys, brake pad materials (asbestos pads are still used in China).
Look at the "knock off" sporting goods - golf club shafts, fishing rods, carbon fibre bicycle wheels and frames, generally speaking they have high failure rates.
They try to flood the market with all manner of fake goods, from skincare and perfumes (which may contain high levels of lead and heavy metals), dangerous toys, to clothing and designer goods which have been produced in sweatshops by "slave labour".
China has more millionaires than the rest of the World, but they also have hundreds of millions of people living in abject poverty.

The Chinese have been copying things for ages, and the copies are generally a lot worse than the originals, due to the low grade materials which they use for components - alloys, brake pad materials (asbestos pads are still used in China).
Look at the "knock off" sporting goods - golf club shafts, fishing rods, carbon fibre bicycle wheels and frames, generally speaking they have high failure rates.
They try to flood the market with all manner of fake goods, from skincare and perfumes (which may contain high levels of lead and heavy metals), dangerous toys, to clothing and designer goods which have been produced in sweatshops by "slave labour".
China has more millionaires than the rest of the World, but they also have hundreds of millions of people living in abject poverty.

They're not attempting to flood the market.
The vehicle won't be offered for sale in the European market.
It's easier to wah wah about conditions in China rather than do something about the failings in our own economy.

Did BMW not try to take a Chinese company to court for ripping off the X5,only for the Chinese goverment to rule against them?

Did BMW not try to take a Chinese company to court for ripping off the X5,only for the Chinese goverment to rule against them?
They ripped off several BMW models. when it went to court the judge ruled that the Chinese copies looked nothing like the BMW's (even though they did) and dismissed the case.
The Chinese copies won't even pass European crash legislation so they won't be allowed to go on sale in Europe. Roewe (sp) the buyers of Rover had the same problem, only way they could get around that was to have the car reworked in the UK as the MG6 and that pretty much fails to sell as well, I believe they sold around 156 cars out of the full MG range last year.
Major car manufacturers used to have press tooling built in China until they realised they were making duplicate sets of tooling for skin panels so they could make and sell panels to undercut the manufacturers.

Love this.
So you dont like the evoque. Fine.
Why does that make it an abomination?

it's nothing more than an overpriced fashion statement. same goes for the Range Rover and RR sport. such a shame they had to change it.

They're not attempting to flood the market.
The vehicle won't be offered for sale in the European market.
It's easier to wah wah about conditions in China rather than do something about the failings in our own economy.

China probably imports more luxury cars than the rest of the World combined, which means that they are helping our economy.
The fact that China (and India of course) keeps many of its workers in virtual slavery means that Western economies find it almost impossible to compete with them with regard to economies of scale and retail price, unless of course you suggest that we treat our workers the same way?

it's nothing more than an overpriced fashion statement. same goes for the Range Rover and RR sport. such a shame they had to change it.
In fairness, and i`m no lover of Range Rovers, they are very,very good off road. Though I would imagine that the vast majority, very rarely, are used for their initial intended purpose.

China probably imports more luxury cars than the rest of the World combined, which means that they are helping our economy.
The fact that China (and India of course) keeps many of its workers in virtual slavery means that Western economies find it almost impossible to compete with them with regard to economies of scale and retail price, unless of course you suggest that we treat our workers the same way?

For those on 0 hour contracts and minimum wage I'd argue we already do that to a lot of workers... Oops, Ben Elton mode there ;)

Many car manufacturers such as VW have highly automated plants. The cost of labour is there but it may be less significant than other factors.

The Range Rover will have all the modern safety equipment, modern efficient diesel engine, well engineered chasis and amazing handling. The copycat has none of those except the strikingly similar body shell looks. That's the main difference. The rest goes to R&D; and you really want them to innovate further with things like electric powertrain and composite body materials.

If you are a new generation chinese wannabe businessman perhaps that car is just right :)

For those on 0 hour contracts and minimum wage I'd argue we already do that to a lot of workers... Oops, Ben Elton mode there ;)

This
is going back a few years admittedly, but when Ford owned Jaguar they had some press tools built in China. An engineer from Jaguar had to go out there to buy off the tooling. This went on over a weekend and for overtime payment for each day, the Chinese workers got a bowl of rice. I don't think we have sunk to that level yet.

No I wouldn't...I'm a massive JLR fan and have always owned a LR/RR of some kind, even learnt to drive and took my test in my 1977 SWB Series 3 CSW so long as I can I'll always drive a something from JLR especially while they employ so many people in my local area

As to the Evoque I'm torn on it as it's not a true land rover from a capabilities front though is still capable but from a looks PoV I actually really like it and may in a couple of years from now once I've lost a hell of a lot of weight treat myself to one as a fun car

What will happen is that Chinese workers will get fed up working for nothing and wages will eventually catch up. When I was a youngster Hong Kong made all the cheap stuff, then it was Taiwan, both areas of higher quality production now.

In fairness, and i`m no lover of Range Rovers, they are very,very good off road. Though I would imagine that the vast majority, very rarely, are used for their initial intended purpose.

can't use most of them off road because you can't get proper off road tyres to fit.

What will happen is that Chinese workers will get fed up working for nothing and wages will eventually catch up. When I was a youngster Hong Kong made all the cheap stuff, then it was Taiwan, both areas of higher quality production now.

Chinese companies are already outsourcing (buying out) to African countries. They are safe from rising costs for a while.

can't use most of them off road because you can't get proper off road tyres to fit.

Erm....cannot get off road tyres to fit most range rovers? Who ever has told you that brown nugget it's either stupid or deluded as there are plenty of off road tyres that fit standard sized wheels for all LR vehicles

ugly and not a propper rangie wouldnt touch it with a bargepole ... also chinese quality control is variable - £14k will get you a lot of propper rangie second hand (although frankly i'd rather have a defender or a lightweight)

ugly and not a propper rangie wouldnt touch it with a bargepole ... also chinese quality control is variable - £14k will get you a lot of propper rangie second hand (although frankly i'd rather have a defender or a lightweight)

I'm debating in 2-3 years buying a nice pre-72 series Landie....I dearly miss my old Series 3 and would love to buy a mint restore one...again it's one of those will likely buy it once I'm down to a much thinner version of me :p

only one I would consider would be a Defender with aluminium plates and a snorkel. I may let Twisted have a play with it, or Bowler.

Had a freelander once as a hire vehicle from Norwich to Bristol and back. Was a 2.0 diesel and it chugged through £120 of devil juice on the trip. The most exciting thing about it was that the tailgate window went down, which with all the other windows open seemed to reduce the drag by about 1/2. Continental drift was more responsive.

Had a freelander once as a hire vehicle from Norwich to Bristol and back. Was a 2.0 diesel and it chugged through £120 of devil juice on the trip. The most exciting thing about it was that the tailgate window went down, which with all the other windows open seemed to reduce the drag by about 1/2. Continental drift was more responsive.

indeed ugly pointless vehicle which is to the discovery what the evoque is the range rover , we had one as a courtesy vehicle while our landy defender was off the road and we got it stuck four times in four days ... course the blinking thing didnt have a winch mounting either.

mind you if anyone gets a discovery be aware that the name comes from the fact that you only discover its 4 inches taller than a rangie when you take it into a multistory car park DAMHIKT

If you really want an RR that goes offroad, then you really need one of these...

bowler-exr-rally-car-02.jpg

Ah yes the nemesis, but they're not the most comfortable, besides that's based on a Sport rather than a real range rover....I'll stick with real rangies as when I go off road I still like to be in perfect comfort :p

I remember seeing a works X? BMW ex Dakar which was described as having Discovery underpinnings with a BMW bodyshell above.

Don't particularly like the Evoque but do like older (Classic) RRs and "proper" Landies. The Evoque should have been made available with the V6 (and maybe even V8) motors.

Hairdressers cars ;)

I'll stick to my old TD5

Exactly. I don't know what Land Rover were thinking. give me any old Land Rover any day. I drive a defender td5 for trawling around the mountains at work. It's a proper machine.

If you really want an RR that goes offroad, then you really need one of these...

bowler-exr-rally-car-02.jpg

Ah yes the nemesis, but they're not the most comfortable, besides that's based on a Sport rather than a real range rover....I'll stick with real rangies as when I go off road I still like to be in perfect comfort :p

TBF an evoque is closer to a RR than the space framed bowler lol

Back