would you use SLR Hut

Regardless of John's legitimacy, the nature of his post in the context of this thread throws up nothing but more doubts.

this is true, but I'm an eternal optimist (it's a hard act to combine with being a cynical sod, but, I try...), and I'm really hoping that John hasn't just signed up to provide a positive review, never to be seen again (like at least 4 other members have already done in this thread alone)...

this is true, but I'm an eternal optimist (it's a hard act to combine with being a cynical sod, but, I try...), and I'm really hoping that John hasn't just signed up to provide a positive review, never to be seen again (like at least 4 other members have already done in this thread alone)...

I think you might be disappointed, he made his single post at 1:11 on Tuesday and hasn't been back to the forum since.

Hit and run...

I think you might be disappointed, he made his single post at 1:11 on Tuesday and hasn't been back to the forum since.

Hit and run...

Maybe he's sat looking out of the window, with terminal "parcel stress" awaiting the courier with the new camera ... (hey, I did say I was an optimist, didn't I...)

Maybe he's sat looking out of the window, with terminal "parcel stress" awaiting the courier with the new camera ... (hey, I did say I was an optimist, didn't I...)

He's just so eager he can't look away from the window for long enough to log on ;).

So a bit like saying a person is neither alive nor dead? ;)

I think what they are trying to say is "we are not VAT registeredm, therefore Vat is not added to your order" which is fine and dandy except for the issue about it being payable on import which they claim to do

Not to be trusted, false advertising or incorrect price

This company took £299 out of my account after confirming my order, but before shipping, or even checking of stock (so they say). They did not respond to many emails via their site, only when emailed directly, and when phoned just wanted to sell more things to me rather than ask what the problem was and how could it be resolved. To add insult to injury, they called me at unwelcome hours, again trying to flog me stuff I didn't want.

Deepee, UK
is taking money out of your account without the goods in stock (or indeed before they are ready to despatch) not illegal under the distance selling regulations? Surely if selling to the UK they must abide by UK consumer law

Hi guys.

The reviews on trust pilot overwhelming suggest slrhut are a decent company. I purchase a canon 5d mark 3 on Sunday and have been notification it will be delivered on Thursday. I'll update my review but I am confident the camera will be of excellent. I'll keep you posted.

John

Hi John @Broado1965 , just wondering how you are liking your new camera? Did it arrive? :)

The reviews on trust pilot overwhelming suggest slrhut are a decent company.
I wouldn't agree with that.
Well, to be fair, they have an average review score of 9.3 based on 3000 reviews. They're ranked 237 out of 918 in the 'Electronics' category, which is hardly sparkling, but it's better than Park Cameras (ranked 241), CVP (306), 7 Day Shop (308), SRS Microsystems (384), Lens Pimp (563), Jack The Hat (607), Cameraworld (621) and Jessops (881), and most people would probably think they're all decent companies.

used them numerous times over the years never had any issue tbh ... had a body go wrong they paid for it to be sorted cant really complain one bit about them

is taking money out of your account without the goods in stock (or indeed before they are ready to despatch) not illegal under the distance selling regulations? Surely if selling to the UK they must abide by UK consumer law

The Consumer rights act 2015 (which replaced the DSR) doesnt actually say that - however SLRhuts policy on restocking fees does contravene the CRA (which say you have the right to return unsatisfactory goods without suffering a restocking fee within 30 days , not the 14 SLR Hut specify ) - however , and this is a common issue and not limited to SLRH , they arent based in the UK and thus arent subject to uk court juristriction so it would be virtually impossible to enforce the CRA on them

In SLR Huts case they are in the states - so you'd have to take them to court in america,under american law which is likely to be a costly and probably fruitless exercise, but is at least possible - for suppliers based in hong kong you'd need to pursue them under chinese law which would be practically imposible

I wonder how @Broado1965 is getting on with his new camera? He said he purchased a Canon 5d mark 3 on Sunday and he had been notified it will be delivered on Thursday. He posted that on the 1st of March but has not been back since. Mind you, I too would probably be too busy enjoying my new toy :)

Have you not read through the 250+ posts? :D

(btw, I've heard of a boy, named Sue, but never a girl named Craig :cool: )

Soooo..........

Anyone used slrhut here or what?

Apparently lots of people have registered solely to tell us that they have, yes.

(oh, and BTW, we (staff) can read post edit historys... refraining from rants like the one you apparently saw sense over, and removed would definitely help to prolong your duration as a member on here...)

My mate bought a d7100 from here about 2 year ago. It arrived ib super quick time and was cheap iirc. Grey import though, so no uk warranty

Hi guys.

The reviews on trust pilot overwhelming suggest slrhut are a decent company. I purchase a canon 5d mark 3 on Sunday and have been notification it will be delivered on Thursday. I'll update my review but I am confident the camera will be of excellent. I'll keep you posted.

John

Hi John, how are you getting on with your purchase?

Hmm, his profile says..

Broado1965 was last seen: Mar 1, 2016

Have you checked that that SLRHut price includes taxes? They have/had a habit of quoting a price then increasing it substantially on checkout.

I just put one in the basket to see and it says, Your Total Tax:£0.00

John Lewis and Amazon both 799. slrhut 649.

If you get caught for vat by HMRC when it arrives in the country it makes the imported model £779.

Question is. If there was a problem would my local Apple store fix it should there be a problem? Would it bther Apple if it's coming from the moon or will they sort out any problems no matter where it's bought?

Apple say:

IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE, iPAD AND APPLE TV SERVICE.

Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ios-warranty-document-us.html

Is that Twice on two imports, or twice on twenty import?

Or twice as likely because they are greedy sods

Twice I've been caught on two imports. A camera and a lens.

The odds arent great anymore, thats why you have to consider if its worth saving a few quid initially.

How much import tax would you pay on something that costs a grand? It must be over a hundred quid surely?

I didnt realise it was 20%, assumed it would be around the 10% mark.
Not sure why people use sites that require you to pay it, it negates most if not all of the saving.

I didnt realise it was 20%, assumed it would be around the 10% mark.
Not sure why people use sites that require you to pay it, it negates most if not all of the saving.

There will always be people who think they'll be the one who gets away with it when the majority are being caught ;).

One Stop digital has refunded me all charges when customs stopped the item. You have to track on the DHL website all the time to see where your package is and if it says it's being held you have to pay. One stop were quick to refund me though with proof.

Back