Wrist/ hand strap help, please :)

Name
robert
Edit My Images
No
Hiya, I have been using my 6D's neck strap as a wrist strap but I find it cumbersome and it obstructs the screen and buttons.

I have been looking at a hand / wrist strap but I can't decide which is best so I thought I would ask here, here are my needs -

1) a hand strap to hold a 6D and a 24-105
2) none obstructive of the rear buttons and screen
3) comfortable for long periods
4) secure

Is this too much to ask? Is there something fitting my needs?

Many thanks buzz

I was going to get one but never quite got around to it, I thought the "herringbone" ones you can get on ebay looked good. There is a thread on POTN about them

I was going to get one but never quite got around to it, I thought the "herringbone" ones you can get on ebay looked good. There is a thread on POTN about them

I fancy one of them, they look ideal and I have not found anyone else who makes anything like it, seem it will be good for walking about with, don't like a neck strap as the camera sitting on my belly just looks wrong:LOL:

As you Robert, the strap round the hand is too much messing about.

Last edited:

I fancy one of them, they look ideal and I have not found anyone else who makes anything like it, seem it will be good for walking about with, don't like a neck strap as the camera sitting on my belly just looks wrong:LOL:

As you Robert, the strap round the hand is too much messing about.

Noob question......... Potn? What is that?

I've got both a herringbone hand strap and a horusbennu one (one for 7d, other for 5d2). They're very similar, and both require a camera grip or what looks like a quick release plate with eyelets for attaching one end of the hand strap to. The QR type plates supplied with both straps I mentioned are different sizes and neither fits my vanguard tripod head as they're too narrow (an observation, not a complaint). The herringbone plate can take the screw attachment from my vanguard QR plate (the screw on the herringbone is threaded to accept it) so the handstrap can stay on the camera when mounted to a tripod. The horusbennu screw has an Allan key shape on the rear so can't accept a tripod mount screw, I guess that the plate would fit a horusbennu head.

I use a Black rapid wrist-strap. I would never let the camera hang, though it is more than strong enough [as strong as their shoulder straps], it'll just pull the wrist off of you if you use anything remotely heavy. It's more for protection, in case of accidental drop, or some thief chancing his arm. Sometimes I just prefer to hand carry the camera about, and this provides a bit of reassurance. Nothing more really. If I wanted to let go and leave the camera hanging, I'd use my Black rapid sport.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BlackRapid-...11327&sr=8-1&keywords=black+rapid+wrist+strap

Doesn't look the most comfortable, but it's actually not so bad. As you're not going to use this to swing the cam from your wrist as I said.

Last edited:
The optech is tough. I think it'd survive someone grabbing your camera as an opportunity. But if they persist then they are bold and it'd likely to get ugly. In which case, give it up, its only a camera. Not worth getting hurt over.

They'd want to either have a weapon or be a very big brute to get away with my camera! I imagine a dslr swung from a hand strap to the face would hurt ... a lot! :D Yup, I'd rather break it than give it away.

I'm going to bump this up rather than start my own thread as this has some decent info in it.

I'm currently using a Nintendo Wii strap on my 6D, and while it seems strong enough, i don't particularly want to risk it anymore.

So... I'm after something similar, but instead of a little piece of wire connecting to the conventional 'strap holder' :)help:), I'd like to find something of similar size just a little stronger and connecting via the tripod mount. Does anyone know of anything like this?

I'm going to bump this up rather than start my own thread as this has some decent info in it.

I'm currently using a Nintendo Wii strap on my 6D, and while it seems strong enough, i don't particularly want to risk it anymore.

So... I'm after something similar, but instead of a little piece of wire connecting to the conventional 'strap holder' :)help:), I'd like to find something of similar size just a little stronger and connecting via the tripod mount. Does anyone know of anything like this?

I ended up converting my 6D neck strap to my wrist strap, I creatively used one side of my camera, some zip ties and patience! It's strong, flexible and I have full use of the tripod mount :)

I use Herringbone leather strap, very comfortable and nice looking.

For tripod mount, I have a 5D2 plate that fits the camera exactly. This means the screw doesn't need to be overly tight while the plate still works a treat. The plat has a bit for the handstraps.

Best is that the plate has its own screw mount, for which I screw a Fastenr r3 when I want to use my Q-strap.

The key is finding a good tripod plate, it'd make your life a lot easier.

Take a piece of paracord and put it through the carrying loop (which is plenty strong enough to support a camera since it's designed for that unlike the tripod socket). Tie it in a knot. Make a running loop on the other end and loop round your wrist.

Job done for pennies.

If you want to fancy you can plait it.....

Hmm, I wanted to use the tripod socket so there would be no wires or cords in the way. I think i'll stick to the conventional loops now as that's what they're actually for. Thanks for the replies, i'll give the para cord a go first and see how that goes. :)

I've used a Nikon AH-4 for the last 3 yrs - still holds up after all these years, its comfy too and I can get to all the buttons with ease although it did state that it wont go with a battery grip... Mmmm its fitted to my D700 & MB-D10 an I have rather large hands and it fits perfectly ok to me.... Only downside is, its bloody expensive!!!!

Back