WW2 air battle

Garry Edwards

Name
Garry Edwards
Edit My Images
No
OK - forget the doubtful wisdom of going after a defeated enemy who isn't going to make it home anyway, and wrecking your own plane in the process...

A good combination of computer graphics and filming, with a twist in the tail
http://player.vimeo.com/video/31202906?autoplay=1

Can't help wondering what the actual difference was between the two young men involved - difficult to say that one was right and one was wrong.

Very well put together and yes a nice twist at the end.

My question would have been, how could he not have known what country he was flying over?

Can't help wondering what the actual difference was between the two young men involved - difficult to say that one was right and one was wrong.

Really? I mean, really?

No, it's pretty easy.

One of them was under the command of hitler and the other one was trying to stop hitler. The brit was right and the german was wrong.

Very well put together and yes a nice twist at the end.

My question would have been, how could he not have known what country he was flying over?
I agree, except that he could have thought that he was flying over N.I. not the Republic.

Really? I mean, really?
What I meant by that was that both were fighting for their country, and both were doing their best. The most unlikely part of this film is that the German didn't speak English, not having at least a reasonable grasp of English would have been very unusual for an officer

What I meant by that was that both were fighting for their country, and both were doing their best. The most unlikely part of this film is that the German didn't speak English, not having at least a reasonable grasp of English would have been very unusual for an officer

Except the german fighting for "his country" wasn't really fighting for his country - but the right to invade other countries. So there's a pretty clear difference I think.

Except the german fighting for "his country" wasn't really fighting for his country - but the right to invade other countries. So there's a pretty clear difference I think.

But did the ordinary Germans know that? With the wisdom of hindsight we all know that Hitler's agenda was world domination but, to quote the old saying, "The first casualty of war is truth"

And we now know that at the time that Churchill made his famous "We will fight them on the beaches" speech the cabinet was discussing surrender terms - from memory, only Churchill had the will to carry on fighting and only he believed that Nazi Germany wouldn't honour a surrender agreement. History proved him right, but my point is that he and the government of the day were in effect lying to the British people. That's what politicians of all nations do, all the time - sometimes for very good reasons. All I'm doing here is assuming that the German military were lied to too.

Were fighter pilots "ordinary Germans"? Hadn't some of them flown over Spain during the Civil War?

Doesn't mean we should assume that they were all as bad as the worst photon. British troops for example have done some shocking things in the past but no one says that all our soldiers are bad.

Were fighter pilots "ordinary Germans"? Hadn't some of them flown over Spain during the Civil War?
Yes, which according to a programme I watched is the main reason why they were able to destroy the Polish air force so easily when they invaded Poland. But by the time WW2 started the pilots who had flown in Spain were getting on a bit. Most german pilots were just like ours apparently - teenagers or just out of their teens. And probably with the innocence and idealism of youth.

Your average ww2 soldier, pilot etc will just be following orders from above so neither were wrong in my opinion.

The SS and the nazi party however, different story.

Last edited:
Back