x2 converter on a VR lens

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone tell me if i use a x2 teleconverter on a Nikon VR lens would the VR still work :thinking:

18-55vr and 55-200vr kenko teleplus pro 300

Yep VR should still work - it does on my 70-200VR, but you'll lose 2 stops of light so your minimum aperture at the maximum zoom on both those lens will end up being f/11, which will not be enough for your autofocus to work properly. Nikon autofocus needs a minimum of f/5.6.

Yep VR should still work - it does on my 70-200VR, but you'll lose 2 stops of light so your minimum aperture at the maximum zoom on both those lens will end up being f/11, which will not be enough for your autofocus to work properly. Nikon autofocus needs a minimum of f/5.6.

Your last sentence isnt strictly true. AF will become tricky below f5.6, but it will still try to focus (albeit slowly and inaccurately!).

To the OP, I dont know for sure but I would think you will still retain VR. You will lose a lot more though - most of your AF, much of your viewfinder brightness, much of your sharpness, colour etc. It may not be worth it, but perhaps give it a go!

Thanks for your help guys (y)

Back