Xbox 1 or PS4

Canon Fodder! I used to love that game. :D

The only oldies i've played recently have been Baldurs Gate & Planescape: Torment. Amusingly it was easier getting them to work on my Win 8 PC than a brand new copy of Dragon Age: Inquisition. :thinking:

They told you wrong, which probably isn't that surprising for Game. Neither the X1 nor PS4 are backwards compatible.

No one should want backwards compatibility anyway though as it compromises the new design and if they really want to play old games they should just keep their old console.
I disagree I would love it if I could play my older games on my next gen consoles

I disagree I would love it if I could play my older games on my next gen consoles

Well, i did say should want. I know there are people who do want it... they're just wrong. ;) :p

It's all down to design. The architecture of the X1 (x86-64) needed to be very different to that of previous XBOX 360 (powerPC) for a number of important reasons & those differences make stable backwards compatibility difficult and costly.

The whole point of a console is it's cheaper & easier to use than a PC. To steal an apple catchphrase, they just work. Adding backwards compatibility may be a nice convenience for some but it's just not worth the price.

Mate my original xbox can play Amiga, Atari, Etc games, and certain ps3's could play ps2 games, so it wouldn't have been that hard to implement, i'm pretty certain whoever out of Sony or Microsoft had the feature of backwards compatibility would have cleaned up imo

I spoke to Microsoft today the 360 has a 3 year support plan with games and updates it's coming to the end of the first year, after the 3 year period MS may Notice they said may remove support all together for the 360 and enable the 1 to support only games downloaded from MS website that where purchased for the 360, they do a similar thing for the xBox games.

Anyway I checked with game and all the major stores re the best bundle but MS offered the best deal, the HP stream 7 is for the daughter the closest game got was £370 with just 2 games. This is on a 2-3 day delivery.
Xbox One Assassins Creed bundle + HP Stream 7 + Forza Motorsport 5
This bundle contains an Xbox One Assassins Creed bundle Unity,Black Flag, Forza Motorsport 5, GOTY Token and HP Stream 7 tablet for only £399.99

Free delivery and a returns guarantee till Jan 31 2015.

Please note that this is for my Son not for me, I have already shelled out for a 100+ 360 games, this purchase is breaking my balls, but the wife said she would break them for me if I failed and returned empty handed.

My resistance was and still is futile.

Last edited:
I know this this is a few day old but just saw it.

Ive been an xbox user for years , preordering the original years ago even though everyone laughed at me at the time, was a xboxlive beta tester before it launched and have had an online account ever since.

I again pre ordered a one and even though the ps4 may be better i wouldn't switch.

BUT this is the first one I've been disappointed in, the downloading of games seems backwards..this can take hours. Not what you want when your rock up at your house with a newly released game and want to get playing.
Games for me have been weak,yes there better than there 360 equivalents but there hasn't been anything thats really shawn for me.

I regret buying it as a early adaptor and getting shafted over kinect.. i regret buying it for the lack off games and to be honest i revert back to playing my 360 as much if not more than i do my one.

Unless theres a need to upgrade 360 to a one or ps3 to a ps4 i would wait longer still for some decent titles to come out and the price to drop further.

Just had another £10 refund off MS so total cost £390 for the set up, I am going to link the 2 Xbox together via HDMI so you can play 360's through the one on the same TV.

Mate my original xbox can play Amiga, Atari, Etc games, and certain ps3's could play ps2 games, so it wouldn't have been that hard to implement, i'm pretty certain whoever out of Sony or Microsoft had the feature of backwards compatibility would have cleaned up imo

Both PlayStation and Xbox had fundamental changes to their architecture from the previous version. It's a ton of work to make that work to an acceptable level of performance and reliability.

PS4 for myself, but mainly due to all of my friends gradually migrating over to the PS, didn't want to be the only one left on the Box.

Both PlayStation and Xbox had fundamental changes to their architecture from the previous version. It's a ton of work to make that work to an acceptable level of performance and reliability.

These are next gen consoles are they not? which means they are powerful beasts, so emulation could have been done through software, ffs my xbox original can emulate other operating systems, backwards compatibility is a massive flaw imo,

These are next gen consoles are they not? which means they are powerful beasts, so emulation could have been done through software, ffs my xbox original can emulate other operating systems, backwards compatibility is a massive flaw imo,
Doesnt quite work like that, which is why you wont find an issue-free 360 or ps3 emulator on pc, even if you're running the latest and greatest supercomputing hardware. Some of them are close, and i do agree with you, especially with this latest generation that for some reason has a very grey line between it - backwards compatibility would have been trumps.

Reactions: H2O

Most console games are engineered and optimised to wring every last ounce of performance from the hardware, they just don't lend themselves to emulation, except on vastly superior hardware. Bear in mind that last gen console hardware was bleeding edge at the time, the PS3 CPU was used to build several of the fastest supercomputers in the world. Amiga/Atari stuff you could emulate on a smartphone.

This generation's hardware is more or less some off the shelf low-power stuff that gets thoroughly trounced on paper by a decent gaming PC from 3 years ago.

Well, caved in and treated myself to an X Box One but gone are the days when playing games on a console was all jolly and straight forwards. For a start, I needed to be like a double jointed octopus to try and marry the wireless controller to the machine (have to press two buttons on the controller and one on the side of the machine at the same time).
And once fired up, the X Box needed to download a software update before I can use it . . . all 2 GB of it. Started it an hour ago and I'm now only halfway through it. Is my 12 mbps internet connection really that slow?

Hopefully once I get past all that, I should have fun with it (bought Forza 5 and Wolfenstine).

Well, caved in and treated myself to an X Box One but gone are the days when playing games on a console was all jolly and straight forwards. For a start, I needed to be like a double jointed octopus to try and marry the wireless controller to the machine (have to press two buttons on the controller and one on the side of the machine at the same time).
And once fired up, the X Box needed to download a software update before I can use it . . . all 2 GB of it. Started it an hour ago and I'm now only halfway through it. Is my 12 mbps internet connection really that slow?

Hopefully once I get past all that, I should have fun with it (bought Forza 5 and Wolfenstine).

just wait til you put a disc in to find out it has to install data, then do any game updates...:mad:

pairing the controller is just a press the button on console and within an allotted time press button on controller.. so I am not too sure what sort of doomsday machine you have :exit:

I also treated myself to an xbox one and the installing is a real pain. Just sat to play forza and done the first race, chosen a car and now it's installing something else and it's been going 10 minutes and it's only at 37%, the game did say I could carry on playing while it installs but you can't!!

I agree. I'd love to have backwards compatibility. I understand how hard it is and why they didn't add it but it would be very nice to have

I agree. I'd love to have backwards compatibility. I understand how hard it is and why they didn't add it but it would be very nice to have

Its not hard at all. They dont do it as a money spinning exercise. Same reason xbox 360 controllers wont work. If you use a wired one then they are both usb so all that is required is a driver for the xbox one.

Well, now that I've got my Xbox One all set up, etc, I have to say that I am impressed with the graphics and that. I also like the media thing about it, it's like a mini PC with a very effective graphics card.

However, I have noticed that every time I turn it on and it logs onto the internet wirelessly, it causes my connection speed to really drop, it goes from my usual 11 mbps to around 3 mbps and makes browsing the internet using the PC noticeably sluggish - an issue I've never had before.

Well, now that I've got my Xbox One all set up, etc, I have to say that I am impressed with the graphics and that. I also like the media thing about it, it's like a mini PC with a very effective graphics card.

However, I have noticed that every time I turn it on and it logs onto the internet wirelessly, it causes my connection speed to really drop, it goes from my usual 11 mbps to around 3 mbps and makes browsing the internet using the PC noticeably sluggish - an issue I've never had before.
I found this with my sons 360 too, almost like it grabs a whole load of bandwidth just incase. I throttled it via the router in the end.

A lot of crap in this thread it's hard to read what's right and wrong.

Who stated the xbox only played in 720P? Wrong!

It plays plenty games in 1080P @60fps

Backwards compatible? Why would you want that. The only game worth playing from the 360 would be GTAV and now that's out for the xb1 and a lot better.

The xbox has come a long way with the updates it's had in the last year. Pretty much everything people wanted like 3D playback, adding a portable hard drive and wallpaper changes have a been done and many many more things.

You can personalise the console to the way you want it to operate kinect 2.0 is 10xs better than the first one and makes using the console bliss.

The new controller is perfect to handle and with offset analogue sticks it's so much better to use than that of the PS4 conter that gives hou cramp after 5 hours of usage.

People complaining of a 2GB day one update when they get the console, it's a one off update right at the start, if Microsoft had their way it would have to be connected to the Internet all the time, but again they listened and it's not needed bar the first time you connect.

The games have been nothing short of fantastic with a lot of exclusives. The Xbox store is full of games you can download. And if you have gold membership they even give you free games to play every month with games for gold.

People also complaining about load times and having to download massive games. Buy the game on disk then. Yeah you need decent internet speeds to get 40 odd gig games downloaded in decent time. That's just obvious. Having them downloaded just means no changing disks to play a different game. I just tell my kinect to play a different game and it switches to it flawlessly and I didn't even have to get up.

Also I save all my games to my portable hard drive. That way I can take my drive to my pals house. Plus it in and sign in my gamer tag and play all my games on his console.

Even better. He can sign in with my details on his console and play any of my games that I have downloaded. All he would need to do is re download them to his console and sign me out then play my games on his console with his gamer tag.

The PS4 since the PS3 has not changed. It may be a more powerful console but the home screen is terrible, the controller is awful and it's not as quiet and the Xbox one. You don't get the features of the kinect unless you but the camera delegate my and even then it's nowhere near as good.

Microsoft have had some management changes and they have made all the difference. They have even stated they won't update the console again until well after Christmas so that they have a stable and running console over Christmas.

you said this, but the you said.......

Who stated the xbox only played in 720P? Wrong!

It plays plenty games in 1080P @60fps

Backwards compatible? Why would you want that. The only game worth playing from the 360 would be GTAV and now that's out for the xb1 and a lot better.

The xbox has come a long way with the updates it's had in the last year. Pretty much everything people wanted like 3D playback, adding a portable hard drive and wallpaper changes have a been done and many many more things.

You can personalise the console to the way you want it to operate kinect 2.0 is 10xs better than the first one and makes using the console bliss.

The new controller is perfect to handle and with offset analogue sticks it's so much better to use than that of the PS4 conter that gives hou cramp after 5 hours of usage.

People complaining of a 2GB day one update when they get the console, it's a one off update right at the start, if Microsoft had their way it would have to be connected to the Internet all the time, but again they listened and it's not needed bar the first time you connect.

The games have been nothing short of fantastic with a lot of exclusives. The Xbox store is full of games you can download. And if you have gold membership they even give you free games to play every month with games for gold.

People also complaining about load times and having to download massive games. Buy the game on disk then. Yeah you need decent internet speeds to get 40 odd gig games downloaded in decent time. That's just obvious. Having them downloaded just means no changing disks to play a different game. I just tell my kinect to play a different game and it switches to it flawlessly and I didn't even have to get up.

Also I save all my games to my portable hard drive. That way I can take my drive to my pals house. Plus it in and sign in my gamer tag and play all my games on his console.

Even better. He can sign in with my details on his console and play any of my games that I have downloaded. All he would need to do is re download them to his console and sign me out then play my games on his console with his gamer tag.

The PS4 since the PS3 has not changed. It may be a more powerful console but the home screen is terrible, the controller is awful and it's not as quiet and the Xbox one. You don't get the features of the kinect unless you but the camera delegate my and even then it's nowhere near as good.

Microsoft have had some management changes and they have made all the difference. They have even stated they won't update the console again until well after Christmas so that they have a stable and running console over Christmas.

See what you did? :confused::eek:

Getting to be quite fond of Forza 5 now, it has that "don't think about trying to come first, just give it your best shot and you'll be fine" thing about it - and as a result I've been able to build up the driving method as I went along rather than being thrown into the deep end.

Getting to be quite fond of Forza 5 now, it has that "don't think about trying to come first, just give it your best shot and you'll be fine" thing about it - and as a result I've been able to build up the driving method as I went along rather than being thrown into the deep end.

Same here. The more I play it the more I like it.

I really enjoyed play MW3 online on the xbox 360. This new Advance Warfare on the xbox one just isn't doing it for me.

You say a lot of crap has been posted, then say GTAV is the only game worth playing :confused:

I've got tons of older games i would love to play on my next gen consoles, plus it would give me loads more room under my tv lol

Same here. The more I play it the more I like it.

I really enjoyed play MW3 online on the xbox 360. This new Advance Warfare on the xbox one just isn't doing it for me.

get BF4 @Daverkl premium version cheap now, the game led me from CoD and I never looked back, 64 players online is just awesome..

Titanfall is also good for a quick blast, again well priced now so worth a look.. BF4 is supreme winner though.

I am also now hooked on forza 5, really didn't like it to start with and nearly gave up but it's a really good game, I am trying to get into battlefield but it needs somebody man hours to understand what the hell is going on! Played Ghosts today for the first time in a few weeks and ended up playing forza after a few games, mw3 is just not my bag, which was a real disappointment. It reminds me of an early halo multiplayer game

That's the game but there are better purchase options than that.. I think the store ha the premium edition cheap so you will get all 5 map packs... or you can subscribe the ea replay for 19.99 per year and get the game(amongst others) free and then just buy the season pass add on...

It's a chuffing awesome online experience, add me if you want. strumstrum

You say a lot of crap has been posted, then say GTAV is the only game worth playing :confused:

In my opinion it is, most games moved on to the xbox one like fifa, cod, forza etc, GTAV came out on the 360, its the only game I kept my 360 for, its old tech now. Plus I'm sure I said gta is on the xb1 now so no need for the 360.

Different strokes for different folks, you seem to say BF4 is decent, I disagree. COD AW is even worse.

Let's agree to disagree, i still play lot's of Xbox 360 games, like for instance Project Gotham Racing 4, which i believe is the best racer ever released, i would love to be able to play that on my Xbone allowing me to get rid of my 360 and giving me more room under my TV, same applies to other 360 and PS3 games, which i can't be arsed posting now :D

Back