xmas is coming

Name
dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Need advice for a new prime lens for xmas for my 5d mkIII.
Anything upto 135mm.
What would you recomend and your opinons welcome.

Some recommendations:

600mm II
800mm II

I am kidding

Well, it is hard to advice if we don't know what do you like to shoot and what lenses you already have and what is your budget, but for just opinion i can list those lenses for you to think about:

1. Canon 135L
2. Canon 85 1.2L
3. Canon 50mm [1.4 or 1.2L if you can afford]
4. Sigma 35mm the new one
5. 100mm macro
6. TS-E 24II
7. 200mm f2L
8. 14mm if you like very wide shots

sorry forgot to say
24-70f2.8L 70-200 f2.8L Brand new old stock 50mm f1.8 mkI picked up for £90 last xmas
Sigma 180mm f3.5 macro. Budget of £700.
In door low light and landscape.
A lens you can leave on the camera

The Sigma 85mm f1.4 is lovely.

Very probably the best AF lens I've ever used.

35/50 if you want a lens to live or leave on the camera.

For landscape: 14/24
For indoor low light, A: Portraits: 35/50/85
B: Architecture: 14/24

I added that Sigma as one of suggestions, from what i hear, it is even better than Canon version, i don't have it, but if i will buy 35mm lens then this Sigma will be the one, i was listing Canon 35mm 1.4 to be it, but i deleted Canon version and replaced with Sigma 35mm, but this focal length is not my most used one for my photography applications.

Reading good things about the sigma 35mm f 1.4 anyone using it on a 5dmkIII?
loocked at digital rev site do we get charged import duties in the uk buying from digital rev

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the sigma 35mm f1.4 and the canon 35mm f2 is

that's a good question - IS vs f/1.4 at a similar price. I am considering the same, but edging towards Sigma right now. At the end of the day f/1.4 is f/1.4, but IS can be very useful for video.

Don't forget the very affordable and ultra sharp Canon 85mm f/1.8. I have some expensive glass but for portraits this is my favourite. I obviously dream about f/1.2 if that makes sense...

I have a 35 f2, a 50 f1.4, an 85 f1.8 and a 100 f2.8L macro and the 100 gets more use than the rest of them put together. I do get some fantastic photos out of all of them when I do use them and would recommend them to anyone TBH but the 100 is just amazing.

I am leaning more towards the 35mm f1.4 from sigma and may be if the release a new version of the 85mm f1.4
Has any one herd of any plans to release a new 85mm f1.4 from sigma

So i was browsing digital rev checking the price of the sigma 35mm when i came across the sigma 150-500mm zoom and it got me thinking why dont they get rid off the zoom and make a 500mm f5.6 with os prime for the same money. Surely it would be cheaper to make and better optics. All the tech in the zoom must cost so why not make a prime . I'm sure its easyer and cheaper to make a primes

Having got both the (new) Sigma 35mm 1.4 and the Canon 35mm 1.4 - I'd choose the Sigma every time over it.

Really like the direction Sigma are heading at the moment.

that's a good question - IS vs f/1.4 at a similar price. I am considering the same, but edging towards Sigma right now. At the end of the day f/1.4 is f/1.4, but IS can be very useful for video. Don't forget the very affordable and ultra sharp Canon 85mm f/1.8. I have some expensive glass but for portraits this is my favourite. I obviously dream about f/1.2 if that makes sense...

Daugirdas edging towards a Sigma? Has his account been hacked?? ;)

Agree abouth the Canon 85mm, one of my fave lenses.

When I was in London Camera Exchange picking up my new 70D the shop manager said they are liking the Sigma's more and more and they are going to become main dealers for them, with more and better promotions for them as the new batch of Sigma lenses are outstanding. I've got a 150-500 OS and a 24-70 f2.8 HSM and the wife has a 120-400 OS and all of them give me great IQ whenever I use them.

Back