Yeovil Air Day - 11/07/2009

Name
William
Edit My Images
Yes
Apologies for the amature looking photo's this is my first real attempt at airshow photography.

The airshow its self was none to good - weather was the main killer. Towards the end of the day I think I heard could hear cloud base numbers around 350ft?!

Vulcan also had a brake fluid leak so no flying from her...gutted!

Apart from that, the aircraft that did partake put on a rather spiffing show!!

They have been fiddled with a bit - sharpen etc etc.

C/C welcome.

Image01.jpg

Image02.jpg

Image03.jpg

Image04.jpg

Image05.jpg

Image06.jpg

Image07.jpg

Image08.jpg

Image09.jpg

Last edited:
Nice set. I was there and was gutted there wasn't more fixed wing stuff :(

I think the white balance is out on the last few, they are looking a bit cold. Might be worth a tweak with the RAW files :)

Nice shots

Ive never been to an airshow, but Sunderland is on in a couple of weeks.

Phil

Yeah...hence getting away early ;-) Looked like the weather was getting worse so exit stage left...

My first ever airshow and despite the cancelled events I really enjoyed it!

Looks like the weather has done you no favours, and for a first go at airshows thay aren't too bad. As far as improvements go, I'd say you need a bit more range as on most of them they are just too samll in frame, and you need to tweek your exposure as on many of them the aircraft seem a but underexposed.

Thanks for the heads up Hawker - the light was pretty poo.

I've just got back from the Fairford threshold so hopefully there should be a slight improvement...:)

Didn't want that to sound too harsh, but apart from developing a zen like panning technique, getting the eposure spot is the next important thing. Because you've got a dark aircraft against a light sky the in camera meteing can get it badly wrong, and typically underexpose. Just remember to keep an eye on it, and unless you shoot like a machine gun (some airshow togs I know do) shoot in raw so it's easier to fix :)

How was RIAT? would have loved to have gone, but couldn't make it this year.

Last edited:
Didn't want that to sound too harsh, but apart from developing a zen like panning technique, getting the eposure spot is the next important thing. Because you've got a dark aircraft against a light sky the in camera meteing can get it badly wrong, and typically underexpose. Just remember to keep an eye on it, and unless you shoot like a machine gun (some airshow togs I know do) shoot in raw so it's easier to fix :)

How was RIAT? would have loved to have gone, but couldn't make it this year.

Thanks for the feed back chap - I will keep that in mind.

Fairford was sweet but I might be biased because I didn't go in the gates I sat on the threshold for my stay there. I think I have a light coating of keroseen on me and lens :puke:

We got there around 1ish just as the Sweedish F-18 was finishing up - gutted we missed the reds. The show which I saw was very good and was made even better by the Vulcan getting air born - I could have cried I was that happy to hear/see it fly!! Weather was cracking, just about the right temp and we didn't get rained on once - well apart from a few spots but nothing to demand a brolly.

Pictures will be up shortly.

Back