YES! Even More MotoGP from Silverstone (added extra images and processing comparison)

Great set of images

Your pics make me want to sell all my crappy Nikon gear and start flower arranging instead..... :cries:

Seriously - this set is the quality I strive for and tbh, Im not sure I have :

A: the ability
B:the gear
C: the finances to but the correct gear.....

Your pics make me want to sell all my crappy Nikon gear and start flower arranging instead..... :cries:

Seriously - this set is the quality I strive for and tbh, Im not sure I have :

A: the ability
B:the gear
C: the finances to but the correct gear.....

Don't be disheartened bud... The gear does help but it's more than possible to get great results with much much lower tier gear than I'm using. There are likely many people that look at my stuff and think meah... Average. You always end up comparing your stuff to other people's, but it's important to use it as a way to be more critical of your own work and adapt your technique. We all have to start somewhere.... If you dig through my Flickr you can see where I started (not so pretty at the beginning I can tell you)... There are many people in here that I aspire to match in terms of vision and quality... Ability comes from practice and experimentation and nothing else :) ...I got a bank loan to finance my gear upgrade, I wouldn't recommend it in all honesty until you can confidently say that it is the equipment that is holding you back, 9/10 times its composition and a knowledge of basic photography principles that people trip up on, no amount of money will solve that.

I'd try and offer a useful crit of your images but I still don't really feel I'm qualified to offer helpful advice in most cases (I still feel like a beginner, I think many people do). My only advice is to find people who produce the kind of work you aspire to and try and breakdown exactly what's needed to achieve that shot. I was shooting with my friends at this event, they were all using sub £500 setups that were able to mimic the angles and style I've achieved here.

It's a bit of a cliche to say the gear isn't the be all and end all and we've all heard it and most of us have probably ignored it too... I have had next to no return on my investment :) haha so if you accept you're not likely to ever make anything out of it bar a few followers and Facebook likes you can decide for yourself whether it's worth ploughing large sums of money into this 'hobby' :)

Shoot more, analyse more and progress... Before you know it people will be asking how you do it :)

Last edited:
Thanks, tbh I've never shot in raw I guess I'd better start learning.

Your earlier advice is spot on too, having the time to practice is the hardest part.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that combination, your images and witty titles are what I am trying to achieve with the same setup.
Getting there little by little , your advice to Hertsman is spot on.
When i first started I was getting so disheartened thinking how can people post such excellent shots every time. My fellow enthusiasts soon made it clear that as you say only a small percentage of the hundreds of shots they take are good enough to see the light of day.
Get it into your head that every shot isn't going to be good and it only takes one special shot to make a day worth while and you are half way there i think.
Don't want to hijack your thread so delete if you wish but using you and others as inspiration has helped me to get shots like this within a year or so of doing motorsports, still a lot to learn but as i said i think i am getting there..so cheers to ya :clap:
# 99 Jorge Lorenzo Movistar Yamaha by John Jesney, on Flickr

Nothing wrong with that combination, your images and witty titles are what I am trying to achieve with the same setup.
Getting there little by little , your advice to Hertsman is spot on.
When i first started I was getting so disheartened thinking how can people post such excellent shots every time. My fellow enthusiasts soon made it clear that as you say only a small percentage of the hundreds of shots they take are good enough to see the light of day.
Get it into your head that every shot isn't going to be good and it only takes one special shot to make a day worth while and you are half way there i think.
Don't want to hijack your thread so delete if you wish but using you and others as inspiration has helped me to get shots like this within a year or so of doing motorsports, still a lot to learn but as i said i think i am getting there..so cheers to ya :clap:
# 99 Jorge Lorenzo Movistar Yamaha by John Jesney, on Flickr

Hahaha not at all, go ahead... I'm glad if I have managed to positively contribute to this community in any small part. Thanks for the kind words.. nice shot too :)

Don't get on this forum much now Jonathan, but saw this post and some cracking stuff here.
no 8 for me is one of the best best off track shots I've seen.

Thanks Graham, as always, nice to get such positive feedback from someone who knows what they are doing :D (shot with an old iphone, wohoo...)

Absolutely stunning, great set, pictures to be proud of

Cheers Huw, much appreciated :)

Back