Yet another lens comparison - Sigma 17-70 or Tamron 28-75

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Having had some great help from people on here regarding different lenses, I have reluctantly decided against a zoom lens for my final 2009 purchase, and have decided to get one of the above for my D60.

Has anyone used one or both of these bad boys? How good are they at both ends? I'm looking for something to compliment my 30mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.8, the 85mm is out of my price range so I think one of these could be just the ticket.

Thanks

Having had some great help from people on here regarding different lenses, I have reluctantly decided against a zoom lens for my final 2009 purchase, and have decided to get one of the above for my D60.

Are those lenses you've specified not zoom lenses then? :thinking:

Oh and I have the Tamron 28-75 which I use with my D700. Great lens! It's rather soft on the edges when it's wide open but close it up a bit and it's pretty much sharp throughout.

When I say 'zoom', I was referring to the 70-300mm I was asking about yesterday.

Poor choice of words I guess.

i would say it depends on your intended use...

i've no experience of the tamron,so cannot comment....but,if your intended use is landscapes,then the tamron may restrict you as it's not very wide on a cropped sensor(42-112),whereas the 17-70(26-105) would be better suited.

I have the Tamron 28-75, lovely lens. I find mine is a little soft at 75mm wide open, but generally it is a nice sharp lens when used at f4 - f5.6.

I just had mine serviced and may be selling it soon having just bought a Nikon 17-55. I wont miss the extra 20mm. If you want a nice wide lens though, go for the 17-70 or a 17-50.

Allan

I've been looking at this as well, how do you rate it?

i've only used it for some test shots thus far,and in my opinion..it's a cracking lens.going to be using it in anger this afternoon as going to shoot a wedding for my sons friend and his girlfriend(can't afford a pro tog,so asked me)....so will hopefully see some decent results...

Back