YN-622N

Name
Sebastian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

I'm looking at Yongnuo YN-622N transceivers.
Is anyone here using them?

I'm thinking about using them with my collection of Nikon and 3rd party TTL flashes and to trigger (in manual) my Jinbei DC-600.

The reviews on the net are quite optimistic, but I just wanted to find out if I can get some feedback from real life users.

Thanks,

Seb

Despite reading a few bad reviews I bought 3 of them and the work perfectly. The only problem I found was trying to understand the Chinglish manual. I worked out how to use them by trial and error but there are a couple of good sites on the web with English instructions. The only advise I could give would be to shop around for the best price as they fluctuate wildly from site to site.

I bought direct from china waiting for the pair to arrive, £50 ish including delivery. bought a couple of other things for £95 so i will post back when they arrive

Can you please let me where did you get yours from?
Thanks for getting back to me, I think I will order 4 straight away

&#32654;&#38143;&#25668;&#24433;&#22120;&#26448;-&#22855; <2319273826@qq.com>;

he is a guy at meking studios I got extra offby not going through ebay.
website says they have landed but not cleared yet so about 2 weeks

I got mine off Amazon. Firstly I bought a pair for £40 free delivery took 3 days. Then I bought a single one again off Amazon but from a different supplier for £29 free delivery took 5 days.

Can you please let me know the names of suppliers?

Been using these a while now and the only complaint I have is that sometimes I can't change the mode to manual.. Even after taking them off and reinserting the batteries.. It's very intermittent but annoying when it happens...

Hi is the light orange, or is it the power changing side, I read that the flash must also be in ttl too. I on the other hand cannot get i to upt the flash by a stop.

i got a pair of these for around £50 in amazon uk from a third party buyer and they are great. i need to get another pair as i now have two speedlites.

They even work well with a 603c stacked on top of the 622c that can trigger a speedlite that is attached to a 603c!

Been using mine (C) for close on a year now, never had a problem from them.

Kris
I know you say you haven't had any issues. Mine are underexposing drastically, I have a flash soft box (24" pop up kind) and it under exposes by 2+ stops.
I have just done a reset as the manual said and still the same.
I took the YN622n off and used the flash, great balanced works bounce works, put either YN622n on the camera and under exposure is back.
Any ideas, I have the 467ii if that helps.

Hmm, dunno. I use the yn622C versions, and believe that the protocols and usage is vastly different between the C and N versions.

Remove the variability of the soft box and use direct. Any difference?

Is it consistent if you set flash exposure compensation +2?

That flash is a budget YN that predates the intro of the 622. Early YN flashes weren't the best, tbh. Get a more modem flash - a 568 or similar, and repeat. Can you borrow a Nikon gun like a 910 or a 700, to confirm it is the flash rather than the triggers?

I suspect this is probably your problem tbh, but I can't be sure. I only use 580exIIs with my 622s, and they have been absolutely stellar.

Hi
I tried simple bounce test no soft box and the images were as expected without the 622n, put it between the flash and camera and it under exposes?
I have put them in manual with flash on full and half and the image ok.
I am leading towards iffy contact. I reset the camera, my body only does 1 stop of comp.
Thanks for coming back so soon

Kris
I know you say you haven't had any issues. Mine are underexposing drastically, I have a flash soft box (24" pop up kind) and it under exposes by 2+ stops.
I have just done a reset as the manual said and still the same.
I took the YN622n off and used the flash, great balanced works bounce works, put either YN622n on the camera and under exposure is back.
Any ideas, I have the 467ii if that helps.

Simon, I realise you are talking to Kris about this but if I may but-in and ask what is the setup you are using ie are you using your 467ii flash off camera in ittl mode when it is underexposing?

You do have two 622Ns don't you?

Putting a 622C on top of you camera and a flash on top of that makes it a group A flash (in Canons parlance). Don't know with Nikon. Check again with two 622s if so.

Hi Neil

Yup I have it in ttl and M for the flash zoom.
I have just jiggled the trigger mounted on the camera as it wouldn't do flash lock, when it did it is still a stop below so I tried the increase exposure and it had no effect on the image. I know images would be good but done so much try this try that I am going to have a break until later.

Kris that was the one read before buying and it seemed ok so bought a pair.
But thanks I am swaying towards the trigger connect missing a pin or two

Simon

Hi Neil

Yup I have it in ttl and M for the flash zoom.
I have just jiggled the trigger mounted on the camera as it wouldn't do flash lock, when it did it is still a stop below so I tried the increase exposure and it had no effect on the image. I know images would be good but done so much try this try that I am going to have a break until later.

Kris that was the one read before buying and it seemed ok so bought a pair.
But thanks I am swaying towards the trigger connect missing a pin or two

Simon

I know what you mean I regularly say "sod it I'm having a rest". I don't know anything about Yongnuo flashes as I use SB910 & SB700 flashes but this is how mine work. The 622n trigger on the camera is set to TTL (green led) the flashguns are set to TTL and the flash gun 622n trigger set to red led (it won't set to any other colour as long as there is a flashgun attached) this set-up works fine and gives the correct exposure. The power can still be increased and decreased while still in TTL mode with the buttons on the 622n on the camera and a reset will return the settings to the correct exposure again. To use the flashes in manual all I do is change the led on the camera 622n to orange and leave the flashguns the same as before ie set to TTL and the flashguns 622n on red (again it won't change to any other colour as long as the flashgun is attached) manual power is again set by the buttons on the cameras 622n. I realise you probably know all this but with a bit of luck some of the above might just help, hopefully. If not ignore all the above.;)

I'm still waiting fro Amazon to list it as I want to buy it straight from Amazon (in case of any problems).

Have you tried it with any Nissin guns?
I have Di866mkII, and I'm hoping YN-622N would allow me to use it :/

Hi
I had another go at it and it appears the pins miss the contacts when on the camera, last night worked great for me.
But not happy about the missing points.
Sebastian I would check the forums to see if anyone can work them on the 622c version

I'm still waiting fro Amazon to list it as I want to buy it straight from Amazon (in case of any problems).

Have you tried it with any Nissin guns?
I have Di866mkII, and I'm hoping YN-622N would allow me to use it :/

Don't know whether your model will work but my Nissin Di622ii would only work in manual mode. It would flash in ittl but the sync was not right. This is the reason I sold it and bought an SB700

2 triggers flying my way from Yongnuo official eBay store. Can't wait to play with them!

Something like that will be excellent!

What flashes have people tried on these units?

I have used SB900 with no problems.

Also used these aftermarket flashes with TTL working and manual control from transmitter
Jessops 360
Calumet Genesis SP692

Great news about TX! I think we're all buying into a very decent looking system :)

Last edited:
Any reason to spend 3x more for PocketWizards?

PW's have Hyper sync, not sure if YN622's have, but the YN622's certainly look good for the price, i think there is a new pixel king pro out now too, which you can operate the flash's via the camera.

So my question still stands then lol

I'm quite passionate about finding alternative solutions to very expensive products and if YN-622N can deliver everything from it's spec sheet without a hickup, than no, I wouldn't consider PW for the things that I'm doing.

You missed the line at the very top, quote: "Yongnuo YN-622N Wireless TTL Flash Trigger Supports High-speed Sync HSS for Nikon Cameras and Flashes"

Of course it's only written in size 7 letters! :D

...here's the factory's specs:

&#9679;Compatible flash mode: i-TTL, Manual flash
&#9679;Compatible Shutter sync: front-curtain sync, rear- curtain sync and high-speed sync(HSS/FP), the highest sync speed is 1/8000s*
&#9679; Support remote set the parameters of flash through the transceiver (Remote Control Mode)
&#9679; Support i-TTL/Manual/Repeating flash mode mix using(Mix Control Mode)
&#9679; Support the flash installed on transmitter(on-top flash)and supports i-TTL function
&#9679; Support the use of master unit on transmitter sets the parameters of each group(Master Control Mode)
&#9679; Support FEC, FVL function
&#9679; Support modeling flash and red-eye reduction flash
&#9679; Support flash zooming (auto)
&#9679; Built-in AF assist beam emitter (AF Lamp)
&#9679; Settings saved automatically
&#9679; Compatible with YongNuo/ Nikon series flashes
&#9679; Support PC port triggering strobe flashes
&#9679; PC port support front/rear curtain sync and high-speed sync(Super Sync)function
&#9679; Support single-contact of camera & flash triggering (max sync speed is 1/250s)

Do not confuse Hyper Sync with High Speed Sync. They are not the same at all. PeeWee should be shot for coining the phrase Hyper Sync.

622s support Canon/Nikon protocol HSS, where the flash strobes the light to cover the frame. (At least I think it does in Nikon flavour, I don't own any Nikon.)

They also have basic, non adjustable tail method hyper sync (or super sync as they call it).

PWs tail method hyper sync is adjustable.

How valuable this adjustability is may vary with your equipment. I can get clean frames with slow duration flashes from YN622c quite easily.

Ive been using 622s for over a year now, and have delayed purchasing 600ex and ste3 because of their excellent abilities. The new controller trigger may well put the kibosh on me every getting 600s.

Last edited:
Ah! Only shows I a) can't read properly and b) really knows nothing! :D

Super Sync. Hyper Sync. High-Speed Sync. X-Sync.

Excellent!

So apparently it's only by using the PC port, that YN622 support Hyper Sync?

Or Yongnuo is as ignorant as yours truly? :LOL:

Back