YN560 II and a D3100

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I think I might have made a mistake:thinking:

I bought myself a YN560 II Flash for the Nikon D3100

When trying it out, in a room were a flash is required, the camera fires, aswell as the flash, but the shutter stays open as it would in a dark room, results in unusable blurred photo

Use the on board flash, everything adjusted accordingly flash quick shutter speed, useable photo

It's as if it knows its there, as it flashes, but the camera does not adjust itself like it does with the inboard one

Is it me, or the lack of compatibility between the flash and camera, or something else I have overlooked

New I should have bought a nikon flash :bang:

Last edited:
Does the flash have an ITTL mode? If so, you need to use it, if not, you will have to set the camera and flash manually.

I don't think it does, :bang:

So I guess I need to set my shutter speed and appeture manually

Not the solution I was looking for, unfortunately bought on eBay brand new and they don't offer returns, now I have read the t&c:thumbsdown:

it's a great flash - keep it and learn to use it manually - it's not that painful

go to manual, set shutter speed to 200, aperture to 8.0 - set the flash power to 1/4 - take the photo

over exposed? - reduce flash power to 1/8 - and try again - alternatively set aperture to 11
underexposed - do the opposite - flash to 1/4 or aperture to 5.6

play - and enjoy - and sit smuggly knowing you spent 10%-20% of the cost of the nikon equivalent - and are learning new camera skills as a bonus

Have a look now with the son as me model:LOL:

I think it might be the start of a long learning curve:shrug:

Not the easiest of thing when just starting out learning photography, but guess in at the deep end :LOL:

Hmm, good advice above, learn how to use this one first. Once you find a good setting you will see good results, bring it to the next meet and we can laugh, I mean look at it, might be a good slave unit for me.

Trees in the lakes starting to colour up nicely, hope they are in full splendour for the 13th

Paul

Just been using it in camera manual mode

Got some possible good shots, can't show them due to what they are for (POTYII theme) if used

Used the above advice, tweaked a setting here and there and smiled a bit more :LOL:

Thanks for that link, I'll have a look through it

though i have just been looking at the flashgun again

It has a off camera setting, which I thought was triggered with a adapter

But!!! It triggers when it detects the on camera flash go off too so I can use it for off camera flashing and get all creative

It also got a multi flash strobe setting too, so on long exposures it can flash upto 100 times at upto 100htz, whatever that for I'm not sure :?

Back