Critique York, A Winter trip

Something a little different from you Steve.

A god set but I really like number 1 - interesting plus good contrast and range of tones

Reactions: ST4
I do like No 1, a gritty look to the image which works and also No 4 with the orange light inside the tower matching the Sunset in the background.

I like "Fire in the sky", beautiful, great angle, great light. I even like the blocky shadows to frame the scene.

"Clifford's tower" has (to my eyes) awful colours, dull grass which seems skewed too blue, ugly cyan sky, maybe improving those regions will let the ruddy sunlight on the stonework shine through. How about a bit less blue in the grass, more in the sky?

The first two look like thoughtless snaps, maybe there's more to them than meets the eye at first glance? Maybe the clock one when printed large will bring out the man looking up as a central focus. Maybe crop the black blob from the very top. Maybe crop leftmost geezer.

"Old house" : weakest one for me by far.

With interesting pink light hitting the tower, maybe auto-white-balance did something funny.
(I don't know what files or settings you're using, see.)
Can you post a couple of crops from the "Clock"?

With interesting pink light hitting the tower, maybe auto-white-balance did something funny.
(I don't know what files or settings you're using, see.)
Can you post a couple of crops from the "Clock"?
I had it set to the cloudy WB. Is your monitor ok as the lights not pink, more a warm orange. All of these were taken on the same cloud WB

I'm away from the computer, I'll play with crops and post back.

#1 really stands out.

The monochrome works.

The station and it's roof can be a bit of a cliche - this is different. It looks like there's an opportunity to be had depending on luck with the passing foot traffic.

Back