York Minster

I'm surprised no-ones commented

1. Its the best thought out image, maybe add some contrast etc
2. I get what you've tried to do, but the branches blocking the features of the tower are a marmite, some will find annoying, others will like
3. Quite like this, but a wider aperature would have given more effect

Thanks for the comments Steve.

The first shot I had to show less of the Minster than I really wanted to; it's taken from the city walls and a couple of feet to my right actually had a better view of it but the entire left hand side of it is covered in unsightly scaffolding and tarpaulin.

The second I agree the tree is a bit instrusive. It gets more so the more I look at it, there wasn't really any avoiding it though, and again it's hiding ugly scaffolding on the towers.

Last one, I would have used a wider aperture if I had one! :(

The minster is brutally hard to take a good photo of sadly. I was there on saturday with the mrs, but only had a 50mm lens on my D600, which isn't anywhere near wide enough to even get a fraction of the building in from any of the places we went to.

Its a shame about the tree in shot 2, but I also know that you couldn't have done the same shot from the opposite end as its blocked by a wall and then private property...

I live in York and I think it's one of those things, if you're a tourist you take photos of it. I don't think I've ever bothered!

For me, it looks best at night and the best angle is from the front, as you approach it from the river.

I like your third shot though, not strictly my kinda thing but well executed nonetheless.

Back