You wont like this...

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
No
You won't like this if you didn't like my last picture, but that's how I work.
Taken as I saw it in my mind at the time, which was a landscape scene that reminded me of Turner, Constable, Hogarth and Gainsborough, and I decided that was how I wanted the picture to look.
View attachment 22953 This was

I would like to see the image before pp, just to see what you have done to it to get what you wanted.

Whats your favorite bit of the image?

Steve.

I would like to see the image before pp, just to see what you have done to it to get what you wanted.

Whats your favorite bit of the image?

Steve.
Hi Steve, It was not that I have a favorite bit of the picture, it was to get the overall effect of the pastoral scene as I saw it ion the day and the feeling I had of masters oil painting. View attachment 22957

I do "get" what you're trying to do, re: the old classic masters. And you've done it justice.
The sky is beautiful.

I like both, though I am leaning towards your pano-cropped version, I like the colours and love the sky, just a pity there were no leading lines in the image to draw the eyes around, like a fence or tractor trail.

I can appreciate the feeling you are trying to create, but neither Constable nor Turner ever used a "panorama" format for any of their work.

Constable sometimes used a 2:1 aspect ratio, but more of his work was 3:2 and occasionally square (1:1) dependent on the subject (for example his "View of Highgate from Hampstead Heath")
Constable would have liked your sky though!

The clouds are pink.
There are some very perculiar pale patches (almost lime green)on the land - the most noticeable being around the fenced small trees in the mid ground.
Not working for me at all. Sorry

What ever floats your boat. I can see it was probably fun to do.
But for me it is neither fish nor fowl.
It adds interest to an otherwise flat photograph, but it is not something I would do.

I can see where you are coming from I guess, and how this might appeal to some people especially if you are trying to sell images, and at the end of the day it's "your" style and it cannot be knocked of course. But what I would say is perhaps be a tad more sympathetic to the landscape and particularly the colours while still retaining your own style and making the image pop! Be careful not to over cook the PP and make some parts unnatural looking. Ruth's comments are quite valid, so just be a little careful with the PP.

Although not my thing it's different, so interesting, just my thoughts!

I like that you are trying to buck the trend of shooting and post processing to suit you rather than suit everyone which is all too easy. After all if you don't enjoy this hobby or do it for pleasure it soon becomes a chore rather than fun which is when most people put the expensive gear away and find another hobby. I applaud your attempts to buck the trend and create a vision that you you want people to see.

I thank you all for your comments, very much appreciated, and Richard, thanks for your feedback-- Some 25 years ago I quit photographic clubs when I woke to the realization that I had moved from point of seeing and doing things my way to taking pictures that judges and the establishment wanted to see, and it took me some years to get out of the "must do it this way" gang and do my own thing again which I appreciate is not to everyone's taste, but if someone gets pleasure from it that's a bonus.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate feedback,

Geoff

There is too much "you must do it this way" kind of photography. This might appeal to some and whilst we can always learn more, it IS above all about what the individual artist likes.

I thank you all for your comments, very much appreciated, and Richard, thanks for your feedback-- Some 25 years ago I quit photographic clubs when I woke to the realization that I had moved from point of seeing and doing things my way to taking pictures that judges and the establishment wanted to see, and it took me some years to get out of the "must do it this way" gang and do my own thing again which I appreciate is not to everyone's taste, but if someone gets pleasure from it that's a bonus.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate feedback,

Geoff

Well I dunno why it wouldn't be at least likeable to nearly everyone, I mean nobody could hate it....could they..?

I wouldn't normally comment but I'm wondering if the slightly negative slant of some responses is due in part to the fact you posted the original, without it the viewer is left to critique the image and be less mindful of its origin.

Last edited:
Back