Your help please - what's missing?

Name
Helen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I shot these on my way up Snowdon the weekend before last, the weather was amazing, the scenery fantastic and yet I can't help thinking there is something missing from the images :thinking:

Thoughts please?

http://www.sealifethroughthelens.com/USERIMAGES/Web7.jpg

http://www.sealifethroughthelens.com/USERIMAGES/Web3(3).jpg

http://www.sealifethroughthelens.com/USERIMAGES/Web1(3).jpg

:shrug:
Please be as critical as you like! I'm off to Yosemite next week and want to make sure I make the most of the week by not repeating any obvious mistakes!

Staff Edit : Images changed to clickable links. Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules.
Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

They are clearly lovely landscape shots but if you are looking for something that's missing then I'd have to say it was a focal point in each of them.

A lead in line or a fam house or a prominent tree or something like that would provide something to hold the eye on the image.

My opinion

1. No foreground interest to lead you through the shot. crop up to mountain/sky reflection. You could do with an interesting rock where the cloud and grass are in the water. For me the reflections are working against you..... time of day

2. Foreground to dark due to time and angle, it leads you off to the left. For me lose the bottom of shot.

3. Road sends you off right, reflection catches your eye then nothing.

Sharp pictures but i think the light angle/time has worked against you. You either need a foreground focal point to lead you or just take the mountains and lose the foreground. I feel youre trying to encompass everything into your shot, try less is more

Last edited:
That's brilliant chaps, many thanks indeed.

dcash - I am definitely guilty of trying to get too much in a shot, I know it, I plan it then I go out and shoot exactly what I don't want to do! Is that normal? Lazy? Or just plain stupid?!!

Rob - I see what you mean, is this one any better (or the building too subtle?)

Web8.jpg

lovely...its all vey well being critical and saying you need a focal point but there isn't always one where you want one to be is there....i think 1. works well for the time of day probably dcash is right about the others...enjoy yosimite you lucky thing

Excellent weather you had there and you have caught some lovely reflection.

For me in no 1 if you were further back you would have some fg interest and would have had the whole sweep of that rh bank to lead you into the frame.

No 2 if you had been more to the left that lh bank would have given fg interest and also a nice lead in.

No 3 the path kills the shot - it draws your eyes away to the side of the frame not into it , better to have been by the path edge. Same very much for no 4. The dark mountain area on LH of frame doesn't help here as well.

Hope that helps and please post some shots from Yosemite when you return.

Thanks guys

Erding, you're right about the left hand side being too dark, I need to edit the 4th one properly, I just popped it up to see if the building was enough of a focal point?

I think with the 3rd one I was trying to use the path that leads all around the lake, looking at it now it's by no means obvious! I needed to be back a little more and a little higher to get that effect!

Number 2 was awfully muddy down there and I didn't want to start the 10m walk covered in ****, no excuse I know.

Great feedback though, thanks again all

maggieme
lovely...its all vey well being critical and saying you need a focal point but there isn't always one where you want one to be is there

I'm well aware, thats why ive said to crop or you could always digitally add one

Tazzie i'd google yosemite images before you go, if you havent already

dcash - I am definitely guilty of trying to get too much in a shot, I know it, I plan it then I go out and shoot exactly what I don't want to do! Is that normal? Lazy? Or just plain stupid?!!

I understand perfectly.......i'm all three

Dave

Dave - I've done nothing but google yosemite since deciding to go, I think that's probably why I'm being so critical on my recent images because i think it's quite easy to screw up an opportunity like this!

It's amazing how many "ok" images there are of Yosemite and how few "wow" there are too. I've been spending alot of time in Ansel Adam's gallery and I have to say *dons flame proof jacket* some of his fall into the former catagory for me, until I read these comments I probably didn't click why but it's all making sense now!

I recently added some stickers to the back of my camera with things to remember, looks like I need to go back to basics and add some more!

Thanks again

Apart from the other comments, I think you are suffering with the rather hard light that you start to get at this time of year, maybe more so at the time of day. The skies are also not very involving. Having said, I think they are really rather nice images. Can't help but wonder what they would look like in mono.

Back