Your Thoughts and Opinions Please

CraigF

Suspended / Banned
Name
Guess..Bet you don't get it.
Edit My Images
Yes
The exact same picture PP'ed with 2 seperate programmes.
Would like your thoughts on both, why you prefer that particular one and your opinions on sharpness also.
Shot with Sigma 70-200mm @ f2.8.

starlingPS.jpg

starlingnx2.jpg

#2 for me - as #1 as a slight purple/pinkish tint to it (either that or my screen needs sorting out) also #1 seems to have a slight oof look to it as well, not sure if its due to the tint or not...

edit: hold on maybe because I'm moving the screen up & down so forget the oof part

Last edited:
Number 2 here as well. The colour in 2 looks more natural, there does seem to be a tint in 1. The eye detail in 2 is much better, and the feather detail looks right. Number 1 looks like a bit of over sharpening, the feathers look harsh compared to 2.
I think I would have cropped it with the bird biased more to the right than center. You have cropped more off the height on number 2 which I prefer.
Otherwise its a nicely composed picture, and these are relatively small points of observation from a true beginner :) (y)

2 for me, the shadow is too much around the eye in 1 and the casting colour isn't fitting.

Ideally would like the frame of 1 used on the bird in 2 (y)

To me Craig #1 looks like it has a purple tint to it, either that or your neighbour whent mad with his cuprinol sprayer :D but the the lighter feather tones on the neck look about right to me, #2 looks more natural on the wing feathers but imo the rest of the bird has a slight green/yellowish cast. Can you post up an original conversion?

To me Craig #1 looks like it has a purple tint to it, either that or your neighbour whent mad with his cuprinol sprayer :D but the the lighter feather tones on the neck look about right to me, #2 looks more natural on the wing feathers but imo the rest of the bird has a slight green/yellowish cast. Can you post up an original conversion?

They were just done with my usual PP but 2 seperate programs m8, not sure i could make them look any different.
I am also badly color blind so that does not help :LOL:
My reason for asking was i was unhappy with a few pics sharpness the other day at f8 with the 70-200mm but heres the weird thing.
The 2 above were both shot at f2.8 and after my normal PP they are sharp enough.
Number 1 pp in CS4
Number 2 pp in Capture NX2
Now i had a look at the others from the other day that i was unhappy about and when i looked at them in Capture NX2 i was really happy with them.
Looked at them in CS4 and i would have binned them all.
I have no idea why CS4 is showing my pics as soft as hell but NX2 shows them as i expect.

Funny you should say that Craig, I was looking at a couple of threads a while back in the Post Processing & editing section, people asking about things looking different in cs4. I have had a weird thing happen with my images of late. Although the degree of how sharp an image looks has always been slightly different between the Canon software and CS it has never bothered me that much. However for some strange reason on mine I can view a converted jpeg in DPP, but for example when I view it in CS I might get a patch underneath the chest of the bird where the colour looks almost as if it has had the burn tool used on it, and the colours look totaly way off. Almost as if I have altered a setting in cs on how the colour should be displayed. If I resize the image down to 800 it does not seem so bad, beats me :shrug:

Back