Youth Team Football, a selection from this weekend

Hey Andy, some really nice images and my only critism is watch your horizons, its really distracting in some of the pics and makes the difference between a "snap" and a professionally shot image.

Hi Gary

Thanks for taking the time to look through them and offer feedback. I can see your point about my horizons and this is something i need to work on. The sports stuff is still a major work in progress but i do feel i'm slowly getting there.

Got the fun and games of floodlights tonight :puke: could be interesting

Thanks

Andy

If the floodlights give a fairly even spread of light across the ground then shoot a custom white balance and take a reading from the grass, if its not even then the MK111 does a decent job shooting AWB.

My major tip for shooting under lights at high ISO is to fill the frame as much as possible, try not to leave yourself to do much cropping in post as it will only intensify the noise, i realise this will restrict how many images you shoot but what you do shoot will be fairly noise free.

If lights are really poor and youre getting sub 1/400th sec shutter speed then try to shoot subjects coming directly at you, if you shoot your subject going across the frame then motion blur will be a problem, if theyre coming straight at you it negates motion blur.

good luck and post em up when youre done.

Last edited:
Very Nice Andy, congrats on the web usage(y). Kind regards Graham.

Hi guys thankyou for the positive comments from everyone.

Well the first half i got away with 800 ISO but then i ended up starting the 2nd half at 1600 and within 10 minutes was maxed out at 3200. I'm hoping they will post another gallery as i got the the opening goal and equaliser, missed the winner though:bang: but got all three cellys. Still not quite there but nothing a bit more experience wont sort out.

Hi Andy

just to sort of highlight what ive said above, these 2 images were shot under the exact same conditions at the same ground and about 5 minutes apart, exif is the same showing f/2.8 with 1/400th shutter and ISO 4000 on both images.

first clearly shows motion blur in both players legs and arms while the second doesn't show any motion blur at all

http://www.rlphotos.fotopic.net/p57763166.html

http://www.rlphotos.fotopic.net/p57763185.html

Thanks for posting these examples. i would love to have 4000 iso capability (maybe in the MKIV?)

Very Nice Andy, congrats on the web usage. Kind regards Graham.

Thankyou Graham, i'm hoping that eventually the web coverage will pay off

i struggled a little bit with filling the frame as i only had the one body tonight, most of the stuff i shot at 800th or 640th so i might try and take it down to 400th next time. :D

Thanks

Andy

Last edited:
just had a look andy.. (been down souf all day) some good shots but as mentioned the horizons are way out.. also and this may be just me.. but i find multi frames very annoying... i dont see the need for multiple shots of the same thing a nano second apart... pick the best frame and lose the rest :)

Cheers for the feedback Tony. I saw you had a bit of long trek yesterday :puke: I will aim to work on my horizons tomorrow night.It will give me chance to work on getting my ISO lower aswell. I took on your advice about Shutter speed but didn't go below 1/640th. maybe try taking it down to 1/400th tomorrow. Slowly slowly slowly....................but surely :D

Last edited:
for anyone reading. i didnt advise not to go below 640 :)

andy... your pictures have now been lifted and are on facebook... with your logo on them.. you need to watch out for that as it looks like your supplying facebook users with these pics.. I know your not.. but..

just deleted the link, best to be safe.

for anyone reading. i didnt advise not to go below 640

sorry yes i know you didn't just showed that it was possible to get usable stuff below what i had been sticking to previously

Back