Zebra Jumping Spider out for lunch

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Found a ZJS out on the hunt, watched as it tracked a fly and I grabbed a few shots as it fed, taken between 2.5x - 5x and between f2.8 - f8.0, spider was around 5mm, no cropping, still trying to get the lighting sorted. Laowa 2.5-5x macro lens

Thank you for looking :)

2 by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

3 by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

4 by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lovely work Gav

Great close-ups Gav :)

Very nice set, Gav. Just curious, are you able to single out/separate the eyes and work on them alone to bring up the exp. in them only? I have no clue if that kind of thing is possible, just a thought.

Great close-ups Gav :)
Thank you Chris :)
Very nice set, Gav. Just curious, are you able to single out/separate the eyes and work on them alone to bring up the exp. in them only? I have no clue if that kind of thing is possible, just a thought.
Thank you Kirk :) I only Affinity photo for edits, so touch ups can be done, do you feel something needs looking at? I'm happy to look as always :)
edit - I just noticed one eye appears cooler than the other, I will have a look, I will own up, I did strighten the top image as I was off with the level from kneeling at a silly angle, I wonder if the light hit differant or the reflector is/was bent, or I fudged the highlight/shadow levels edit :facepalm:
That's so cool !! Thanks for sharing !!
Thank you, Glad you like them :)

Last edited:
Looks like you hit the nail on the head with focus especially that 1st shot, as for lighting, I don`t think you will ever get that reflection of your diffuser from the eyes, it`s something we got to live with.
Other than that, lighting looks good to me, nice, bright and clear.

Looks like you hit the nail on the head with focus especially that 1st shot, as for lighting, I don`t think you will ever get that reflection of your diffuser from the eyes, it`s something we got to live with.
Other than that, lighting looks good to me, nice, bright and clear.
Thank you :)
I agree with the eye reflection, I think it's the colour between the reflections in the eyes, one appears cooler, one has a blue tint other has purple tint :LOL:
Thanks for the feedback (y)

It looks fine, actually. It's just that I saw a photo once where the artist had somehow increased the light in a coyote's eye only and the eyes really stood out (maybe too much in his pic) so it got me wondering if the reflection in your spiders' eyes could be manipulated to stand out a little more. Not that it needs it, but since the eyes seem to be the real focus, I'm just curious to know if it would look better or not. Totally up to you if you wanted to experiment and try that or not. Don't do it just for me. ;)

It looks fine, actually. It's just that I saw a photo once where the artist had somehow increased the light in a coyote's eye only and the eyes really stood out (maybe too much in his pic) so it got me wondering if the reflection in your spiders' eyes could be manipulated to stand out a little more. Not that it needs it, but since the eyes seem to be the real focus, I'm just curious to know if it would look better or not. Totally up to you if you wanted to experiment and try that or not. Don't do it just for me. ;)
I will have a look and report back with an image ;) (y) I need to try and correct the light colours now I've seen it :LOL:

That`s a fab looking set Gav

The first one is an excellent portrait superb eyes all great though , I actually prefer the first version looks more natural

Very nice - they can be a pain to photograph, although a lot better than most butterflies (although could be because I don't see many so I need to get 100% success with butterflies).

No idea how you manage this genre but manage you do.

Great images Gav.

Edit looks fab.

Gaz

Back