mmcp42

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

Number 1 works best for me; nicely framed and sharp, if a little bit front focused.

Do you mind if I ask what lens and f-stop you were using? I don't want to provide useless or harsh comment, but 2 and 3 have lost the eyes-in-focus, which brings down the otherwise nice shots. Do you let the 5D focus, or do you use the centre-point?

This loss of critical sharpness might be because - your lens is front-focusing a little [though unlikely] or you're using a very shallow aperture [and most commonly when you recompose holding focus lock.]

Hope I haven't stirred up trouble! All the best

I think #1 is my favourite - I like the really crisps black and white lines.

#3 looks a little soft .. but it could be my monitor .... or eyes !

Number 1 works best for me; nicely framed and sharp, if a little bit front focused.

Do you mind if I ask what lens and f-stop you were using? I don't want to provide useless or harsh comment, but 2 and 3 have lost the eyes-in-focus, which brings down the otherwise nice shots. Do you let the 5D focus, or do you use the centre-point?

This loss of critical sharpness might be because - your lens is front-focusing a little [though unlikely] or you're using a very shallow aperture [and most commonly when you recompose holding focus lock.]

Hope I haven't stirred up trouble! All the best

thanks for your comments dan
I was using canon 400mm L f/5.6 lens
Always use centre focus point then recompose
all were at f/8

tiger is a big crop as he was quite a way off
zebra was really close - I had to step back to get the entire head in frame
same with the rhino, although that had minimal "recompose" movement

thanks for taking the time

I think #1 is my favourite - I like the really crisps black and white lines.

#3 looks a little soft .. but it could be my monitor .... or eyes !

thanks!
:embarassed: yes #3 is a bit soft
he was a long way off so it's a very small crop

No worries - at f/5.6 the DoF is so narrow a step back would definitely change the whole scene - done it myself plenty of times....

I remember spending ages wondering why I'd set the shot up perfectly and it could still come out soft; then it dawned on me - that combination of wafer thin depth of field and animal/human movement...

Have you tried monochroming number 1? With those strong lines, it might make quite a striking image!

Cheers, Dan

Back