Zebra.

JDP

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys, hows it going? :) Sorry not posting much anymore, dissertation is an absolute KILLER!.... anyway, during some procrastination I re-edited this Zebra, I really like it. What do you guys think?

I know zebras are generally white and black, this one was actually a sandy colour.... Wild genetics are amazing! :)

I took this at Pilanesberg National Park, South Africa on one of my 3rd year University modules! :)

zebra by JamesDollowPhotography, on Flickr

Hi James.

I would like to have seen this framed to the left a lot where there is quite a bit of dead space. Dead space can be valuable to a good composition but in the above I feel like I really want to see more of the Zebra.

Also - as a personal preference I really do appreciate Zebra shots in B&W although that is a totally personal taste :)

Hi James.

I would like to have seen this framed to the left a lot where there is quite a bit of dead space. Dead space can be valuable to a good composition but in the above I feel like I really want to see more of the Zebra.

Also - as a personal preference I really do appreciate Zebra shots in B&W although that is a totally personal taste :)

Thanks pal! :)

Yeah I know what you mean, I kinda overlooked the composition while taking it as it was the closest I've ever been to a zebra so my chain of thought was "Shoot, Shoot, Shoot", Was on a conservation trip so we were able to go off the tourist track in a 'research' van too! Was exciting but I overlooked the importance of the photographic rules. :nono:. - I did get a rock eagle owl (I think it was that) with correct composition, will be uploading that one too! :)

And I never, for some reason thought about putting it into black and white, just did it in Lightroom, and it makes them look SO much better. (y)

I personally also prefer this (photobucket killed quality):

ZebraBampW1of1-net_zps8b1f26a5.jpg

Last edited:
Hi

I agree that this picture looks much more appealing in black and white which often suits the zebras well.
As you come across more zebras and there will be less excitement as you will have them more often in the viewfinder, you will be able to spend more time thinking about what you want the picture to say, which emotion it should generate, in addition to showing a great and very graphic zebra.

Lovely pics! I love the B&W

Plus jealous that u been to Africa :( xx

Hi

I agree that this picture looks much more appealing in black and white which often suits the zebras well.
As you come across more zebras and there will be less excitement as you will have them more often in the viewfinder, you will be able to spend more time thinking about what you want the picture to say, which emotion it should generate, in addition to showing a great and very graphic zebra.

Hi Vincent, sorry for not replying to your post sooner... Not been giving the forum my 100% attention due to university commitments.

Anways, thank you so much mate. And yeah they really do look better in B&W, I don't know they're one of my favorite equids, they are just an awesome horse with a wicked painjob, but I understand what you mean.
When I was out on the safari and on the trip I didn't think much into the photos, just to get the shot. I think it maybe something to do with my obsession with animals!

Thanks again pal. (y)

Lovely pics! I love the B&W

Plus jealous that u been to Africa :( xx

Thank you Kelly! :). You really should go to Africa if you have the chance, it's a beautiful country the animals are amazing. There is something about the place which makes you never want to leave.

If there's anywhere in the world to travel it would have to be South Africa (ignoring the dangers/politics etc..) :) x

Back