Zebras Running, 7D Focus Test (100% Crops added)

cosmix3

David Sullivan
Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Some more tests from Cotswold, this time Focus of fast moving subjects, the Zebras were being very helpful running around, these were shot as they were heading diagonally to me, on the 40D maybe would have got one not all 3 :D

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Intresting results, but my intrest are in motorsports. What focusing mode where you in?

Intresting results, but my intrest are in motorsports. What focusing mode where you in?

AI Servo using all 19 AF points to track, this is a vast improvement over my 40D, I would never have got 3 in a row with the 40D with them all in focus.

Last edited:
That pic ooooooozes quality! Nice camera!! oh and lens of course!

Great focused pics there Stuart - Have just ordered one myself, so look forward to playing. I think I will have to go to Cotswold!

You will love it :D And Cotswold is well worth a visit, let me know when you decide to go if I am about we could try to get a mini meet going.

Great photos, now if only I could afford a 7D.

Does this mean you have a 40d for sale. ;)

Great photos, now if only I could afford a 7D.

Does this mean you have a 40d for sale. ;)

Thanks,

Sorry but as it stands at the moment I have decided I want to keep both my 40D's they have been great cameras that have served me well, have looked after both as if they were kids, so I feel that if I let them go if I ever decided I needed one again, I would struggle to get one as good as what I have.

Very nice captures Stuart, and that looks like a superb camera... ah if only...

Very nice captures Stuart, and that looks like a superb camera... ah if only...

Thanks John, I am loving the Camera, was a lot to layout, but am more than happy with the results so far, need to find time to strap it to the scope and point it at the moon though :D

I have to say that although i am pleased you seem to be enjoying the camera im a little puzzled by your test.
On this occasion you have managed to shoot 3 images at 1/500 of some zebras.
Now if you examine the pictures closely you will see a few give aways that suggest these were pretty much rapid fire shots taken within a split second of each other.
I would be pretty annoyed with any camera that could not get those 3 in sharp focus.
Had you tracked the rear one and got three of that Zebra in sharp focus then i would have been impressed but not with what you have done.

Im not having a go at you as (a) the pics are nice and sharp, (b) You are very happy and thats the main thing.
Also looking at the picture the lens seems to have locked on to the left hand side one which is rather strange.
Are these pictures cropped?
If not then is your lens having Back Focus issues.

I think the test seems pretty valid
the point is surely that the objects are moving towards the camera
F4 ish with a moderately short DOF
therefore the camera would have to refocus on each shot I presume to get the lead zebra in focus. which seems pretty sharp although some crops would be nice too :)

I have to say that although i am pleased you seem to be enjoying the camera im a little puzzled by your test.
On this occasion you have managed to shoot 3 images at 1/500 of some zebras.
Now if you examine the pictures closely you will see a few give aways that suggest these were pretty much rapid fire shots taken within a split second of each other.
I would be pretty annoyed with any camera that could not get those 3 in sharp focus.
Had you tracked the rear one and got three of that Zebra in sharp focus then i would have been impressed but not with what you have done.

Im not having a go at you as (a) the pics are nice and sharp, (b) You are very happy and thats the main thing.
Also looking at the picture the lens seems to have locked on to the left hand side one which is rather strange.
Are these pictures cropped?
If not then is your lens having Back Focus issues.

Understand where you are coming from, but as said in hte post after yours, the subject was moving towards me, on the 40D it would have struggled to get these results (I had tryed similar), as for the back focus, I was not using center point, was using all 19 and think it picked up on the left Zebra.

No offece was taken by your comments, they are here for C&C and all coments good or bad more than welcome :)

I think the test seems pretty valid
the point is surely that the objects are moving towards the camera
F4 ish with a moderately short DOF
therefore the camera would have to refocus on each shot I presume to get the lead zebra in focus. which seems pretty sharp although some crops would be nice too :)

Thanks, the apature was F5, will try to get some crops up for you tomorrow as am on nights at the moment.

As requested some 100% crops of the pics in the same order as the original post. These are of the right-hand Zebra, no sharpening applied, straight crops from the raw.

IMG_0395_100.jpg

IMG_0396_100.jpg

IMG_0397_100.jpg

cheers for updating the post

not bad for a running target
what glass can I ask??

No problem, was using the 100-400L

That looks very promising Stu. (y)

Thanks CT, I am very impresses with the camera as it stands, is a good improvement over my 40D (which I still like and intend to continue using), looking forward to getting my head around all the options and using it to its fullest :)

Back