zenit-EM

Name
kirsty
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently picked up one of these at a bootsale for £3, came with original lens and a second japanese lens

couple of pics off my phone

DSC00541.jpg

japanese lens
DSC00540.jpg

any advice on where to look as to using it?? i have absolutely no idea when it comes to setting up an slr, and dont really want to completely waste a film.

heres a link to what camera it is: http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/zenitem/manual/

the japanese lens says "ACCESS SQ 1:4.5 f=200mm No.65970" on it.

and lens currently on the camera says "HELIOS-44M 2/58" on it.

no idea if its any good, or if it even works as i havent attempted to use it yet. just thought it might be good to practice on??

I have one of these which I got in the late 70's :D great robust cameras. here is a manual link for you: linky

That there camera is a lovely thing.

You use it in the same way you would a modern camera, in that you meter and select appropriate settings, frame, focus, fire.

It's a great camera to learn the concepts of photography with, being fully manual. Not sure if it has it's own built in meter, if not you might need a separate light meter to go with it.

Oh, and shhhhhh about the Helios - they're quite common but a bit sought after for their quality.

Just go for it I say, get some cheap film to start with and have a play, does it matter that much if you waste a few rolls of film till you get the hang of it? When you're happy with what you're doing, get some decent film (black and white perhaps) and enjoy. I recently bought a Yashica rangefinder from the 60s and also a russian leica copy too, just for fun. I haven't shot anything with them yet but looking forward to it.

I've a few of them, I love them, the Helios lens is good (I'll be using mine on my new Panasonic GF1!) if you need any help or get stuck I could probably help? here's some of my pics using on of my Zenit EMs www.mrnutt.com :)

funny thing, I just bought a Zenit-E today from a market for £4 with the same helios lens on it, I put it on my 1Ds2 via adapter and it is rather nice, infact its very nice.

enjoy

Had one of these years ago and it sparked my interest in cameras and all the associated kit. Having bought lots of SLR's and stuff which is now cluttering up my loft, my advice would be to throw it away - that way, all the money you will inevitably end up spending on camera gear could be spent on drinking:LOL:
Seriously though, I loved my EM, but compared with modern stuff like your Lumix, it must feel like a workout at the gym just lifting the thing to your eye.

sounds like it was a good purchase for 3 quid then! I have a cheapy film from boots to waste away, so will have a read through the tutorial ive just found further down the forum (looks like just what i need!) and will then bite the bullet and have a mess around! thanks everyone(y)

Seriously though, I loved my EM, but compared with modern stuff like your Lumix, it must feel like a workout at the gym just lifting the thing to your eye.

it does weigh ALOT! not far off the equivelant of a bag of sugar :eek: but i could do with the cardio workout!

I had a Zenit TTL as my first SLR back in the very early 80s. I used to get some great shots with it. At the time a lot of my mates ridiculed it as cheap russian and manual (they mostly used their dad's cast off canons, olympus and Nikons - or worse still they didn't have a camera and were just experts on the ones they would buy!).

I have no idea what happened to it - so I picked one up on ebay and it's really very cool. Here it is:

3404655791_3b18bfe182.jpg

Just a word of advice.

If you you should, hypothetically speaking, be getting off of a hypothetical coach and (for instance) drop said camera, I would imagine that it might be a bad thing to stick out your foot to try and stop the camera from hitting the floor. Not that you'd do that, eh?

If you did, I would think that there just may be the possibility of breaking the two smallest toes on your foot. If you were to do that as the camera is quite heavy and it would be a stupid thing to do.

Not that I'm speaking from experience you understand?

Back