zoom lens for e 40D

Name
phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I am thinking of getting a zoom lens for the 40d to try my hand at wildlife photography , I am thinking of either the canon 100/400 or the sigma 150/500 but not sure which would be the best suitable for my camera .

Depends on your budget?

Both lenses have their advantages and disadvantages and either would be suitable for your camera

I used the 100-400 on my 40D for airshows mainly, I constantly got better results than a friend using a 50D and his 150-500..

Thing is too, it depends on your shooting style.. I was able to track a jet coming over at 3-400 with Canon's IS system quite well where as most of his were cropped from 2-300

Having owned (and still do) a 40D. It's not the answer you are looking for but the focusing on the 70D is far superior which is why I upgraded and still use my 70-200 f4 and get much better results even when cropped.

Just food for thought

Dave

I recently bought a 100-400 as it seems to be much lighter and smaller (when not extended) than the sigma so better to carry around.
I was also worried that choosing a lens that go up to 500/600mm I wouldn't be able to get a shutter speed fast enough most of the time. The 40D is a great camera (I have one!) but it's high ISO capabilities are pretty rubbish so you can't really bump the ISO up to get some faster shutter speed.

Back