Zoom lens

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. I currently have a 500d with just the tone lensm the 18-55 IS. My husband wants to buy me a zoom lens and has suggested the Canon 55-200mm. Is this a good lens or would it be worth getting something else? Can't really afford to spend heaps on it though :(

I think you mean the 55-250mm IS lens?
It's a good lens for the money, I along with plenty of other people have one.

in this months Photo plus mag, theres an in depth review on telephoto lenses, 8 in total with ratings and prices.
from £200 to £1290

in this months Photo plus mag, theres an in depth review on telephoto lenses, 8 in total with ratings and prices.
from £200 to £1290

The review covers super zooms.
The samyang is the cheapest and the review isn't very good.
The next cheapest is £500 and I could be wrong but I get the feeling this is a lot more than the OP wants to spend.

The 55-250 is a very good lens, I have one. Very good IQ, its one of those brilliant, yet inexpensive Canon lenses!

I have no experience of the 55-200 lens, and not sure how much you want to spend, but you can get a good s/hand 70-200f4 L for around the £400 mark.

Now thats a lens, and it will do you for pretty much anything you want to shoot with it (y)

Ade
:canon:

Depending on budget

The 55-250 IS lens is a cracker for the money. The 70-300 IS lens is more expensive, again a very good lens and then you get to the 70-200 L series.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the 55-250 IS lens (y)

I can +1 for the 55-250 lens. Took it to the Spainsh Grand prix and did me proud! Crackin lens!

Photo plus - I was the apprentice about a year ago :) 10 pages dedicated to me lol

The 55-250 is a very good lens, I have one. Very good IQ, its one of those brilliant, yet inexpensive Canon lenses!

I have no experience of the 55-200 lens, and not sure how much you want to spend, but you can get a good s/hand 70-200f4 L for around the £400 mark.

Now thats a lens, and it will do you for pretty much anything you want to shoot with it (y)

Ade
:canon:

Depending on budget

The 55-250 IS lens is a cracker for the money. The 70-300 IS lens is more expensive, again a very good lens and then you get to the 70-200 L series.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the 55-250 IS lens (y)

I can +1 for the 55-250 lens. Took it to the Spainsh Grand prix and did me proud! Crackin lens!

Photo plus - I was the apprentice about a year ago :) 10 pages dedicated to me lol

:agree:
What they said! I have one and love it!

Great lens for the money in my opinion.

Here are a couple of example shots, both at 250mm wide open, both cropped.

index.php

index.php

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your advice. Best tell my husband to go ahead and order it then. He likes to think he know s everything about cameras so good to hear he was right :D

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your advice. Best tell my husband to go ahead and order it then. He likes to think he know s everything about cameras so good to hear he was right :D

Erm... best tread carefully - he was wrong. According to your OP he was suggesting 55-200 which is much older and not nearly so good.

The lens you want is the EF-S 55-250 IS ;)

Back