bronica and flash

Name
geoff moules
Edit My Images
Yes
hello to everyone
im hoping someone out there can help me try flash photography with my Bronica ETRS
Im O K with manual SLRs that tell you what shutter speed to set but with the Bronica it seems one could use any shutter speed.
The flashgun is quite basic and only suggests apertures at different distances.
i would be grateful if someone could give me some ideas??
regards Geoff

hello and welcome
i am sorry i cannot help you but if you post your question in the lighting/flash section i am sure someone there will be able to hep you

Your Bronica has a leaf shutter so doesn't have the flash sync problems we get with focal plane shutters - it should indeed sync at any shutter speed.

To use this flashgun with your Bronica- set the camera in Manual Mode. The shutter speed should be immaterial, but to use the flash you need to know the guide number of the flash unit.

You can either divide the aperture you wish to use into the Guide No to give you the camera to subject distance

OR

Divide the distance you wish to work at into the Guide No to give you the aoerture.

Guide Nos are usually nominally quoted at 100 ISO and will be different for working in feet or meters.

It would be nice to think that doubling the ISO doubled the Guide No, but I'm afraid it's not that easy - I'll try to find you a link with some info for you.

Here you go

Hope this helps. :)

The flashgun is quite basic and only suggests apertures at different distances.

Is this a purely manual flash or a semi automatic one?

The semi auto type will have a little sensor on the front of the flash which receives light bounced back from the subject.

What make/model flashgun is it?

hello C T
the flashgun is a Viviter 283 it has an "auto thyristor"
But only has a single pin contact on the mounting bracket
regards geoff

The 283 was a fantastic flashgun of it's time and is still useful today. It only has one contact because that's the only one it needs for the camera to fire the flashgun.

You can use it in manual mode as I described earlier, or you can use it in Auto Mode where it it should be pretty accurate.

In Auto Mode all you'd need to set on the gun should be the IS0, ( It will be marked as ASA no doubt on the 283 but means the same) set one of the appropriate auto aperture settings on the gun, set the same aperture on the camera, and shoot away.

In Auto Mode, the sensor on the front of the flash receives light bouncing back from the subject and quenches the flash when it deems exposure to be correct. As long as you keep within sensible distances it should give excellent results.

Hi and welcome :wave:

The 283 is a great flashgun, I've still got one - can't use with my digital gear 'cause the trigger voltage is too high, but yours should work great with your Bronica.

I keep mine as a slave fill, and for use with my film stuff.

You can get loads of bits for the 283 from ebay, sensor extension leads, brackets, mains adaptors, lens kits, etc etc.

I might have some instructions in pdf if you need them, Pm me if you do.

Back