Recent content by ChrisR

  1. ChrisR

    Printing Software conundrum

    I have C1Pro and also Affinity Photo 2. I can print from either, and both offer the usual ICC profiles, as they are in the printer driver for my Epson ET-8550. However, I find them both equally annoying to use, as neither makes it easy to centre my print on the paper. They allow me to set...
  2. ChrisR

    BT Webmail - We are experiencing issues with the service ?

    There are quite a few free and subscribe email services, and all of them seem to have some sort of black mark against them when you look them up on the web! Generally speaking I think none of them are as useful, "free" or evil as Gmail (which I use!).
  3. ChrisR

    Scanner choices and computer

    OK, I don't know much about scanners on Linux, so take some of this with a pinch of salt! The Plustek scanners are very good with 135 film. I have had a Plustek 7500i since 2012, and despite the occasional hiccups it is still going strong. You need to advance the film strip holder manually for...
  4. ChrisR

    PlusNet woes

    So the change at the flat to Plusnet fibre did finally happen last week. Openreach told us that they would drill small holes through the wall, but the covenant for the building there requires zero external alterations; we were told to use the internal risers. I was expecting an argument about...
  5. ChrisR

    Who's a Wally

    On the only good day of the TPFC Glencoe trip! Mrs R and I went out across the ferry and round to a nice castle, back for some lovely autumn leaves glowing wet, for the last frames, oh, not finished yet? Couple more? 40! OMG... I'd like to say it was a lesson well learned and that ever since...
  6. ChrisR

    The Valoi Easy 35 v2 camera scanning system

    I tried both at the Photography Show (briefly). The 120 one is, unsurprisingly, massive compared to the 35 (but does 135 as well as 120).
  7. ChrisR

    OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

    AFAIK there isn't a Pentax-M 24mm lens, and the Pentax-A 24/2.8 has its lettering outside the barrel; there also isn't a Pentax-M 30mm lens (see https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-Lenses-c27.html), so I suspect these two are the earlier "K" lenses, more closely derived from...
  8. ChrisR

    101 ways to ruin a roll of film

    I forgot about this thread. I recently went through a roll of ORWO UN54, a film i rather like, Definitely had some nice photos on there, definitely (you can see where this is going!). Anyway, I use a Rondinax because of injury issues; this time the guillotine wouldn't cut the film, so I had to...
  9. ChrisR

    OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

    I had a Werra 1 as my only camera from 1967 for 4-5 years or so. Stopped using it soo after I got onto my Pentax SLR track, and then som 30 yers later gave it away to a charity shop. I do regret that. The lens was excellent. I have thought of getting another one... but no, maybe not! I remember...
  10. ChrisR

    OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

    But, but, but... it's all wonky!!! (;)
  11. ChrisR

    Large Format and Vue Scan Workflow Support

    Epson Scan 2 should work on the Mac...
  12. ChrisR

    Best place to get films processed and scanned.

    Darkroom UK in Cheltenham do dev-only, in fact IMHO it's far too expensive to use them for scans. They are usually very quick, and have a Freepost label. Never had a problem with them. They use XTOL I believe. Last time I asked, Filmdev and AG used IlfoTec DD (commercial variant of DD-X).
  13. ChrisR

    F&C meet up 1st August 2026

    Hi Barney, could you perhaps edit the title and the first post? It took me ages to find this post, and I'm still not sure where the meet is!
  14. ChrisR

    Orphaned Works

    OTOH the world is full of scammers these days. I'm reminded of some who took advantage of a potential flaw in Creative Commons Attribution v3 and earlier licences. They would make stuff available under those licences and then look for flaws in the Attribution on re-use, then sued for large sums...
  15. ChrisR

    Orphaned Works

    I used to work in related areas, and IMHO Copyright is ALWAYS a risk management exercise (but IANAL). What is likely to happen if I publish this work? What are the gains (specially to the public)? What are the potential downsides (specially to me)? How likely are those downsides? I'd be tempted...
Back
Top