Recent content by TimHughes

  1. TimHughes

    Challenge DPOTY26 - September Entries thread on: Macro/Close-Up

    Dragonfly in flight 1F7A1867 by Tim Hughes, on Flickr
  2. TimHughes

    Canon EOS R Series Cameras

    I have a small collection of RF lenses that is growing slowly, and so far, so good. I know what you mean about difficult shooting conditions @A_S, but I'm not seeing a big difference in resilience between the EF and RF lenses.
  3. TimHughes

    Canon EOS R Series Cameras

    I could not get the latest canon firmware dmg file to work on my mac. Fortunately, it turns out the windows download is just a zip file so equally fine for mac.
  4. TimHughes

    How do you practise spotting better compositions?

    I'm pretty bad at mental images, so I took an aphantasia test (https://aphantasia.com/vviq), and it turns out I'm just about at the threshold. Personally, I find it helpful to study composition; Michael Freeman's The Photographer's Eye, I remember, is pretty helpful. When it's not feasible to...
  5. TimHughes

    Canon EOS R Series Cameras

    switch to registered af?
  6. TimHughes

    What makes you keep a camera long term?

    What matters the most is being the best tool for the job, which is always a balance of the features that you have listed. If the jobs are different, you end up with a selection to choose from. The camera that has stayed with me the longest is the Canon 350D, which was my first DSLR and has...
  7. TimHughes

    Camera suggestions required

    All focal lengths are my favorites, just for different things. I agree; for me, 35mm is the most true-to-life. I like 28mm, as I find it a bit more immersive and gives a little bit more of the feeling of being in the scene.
  8. TimHughes

    Camera suggestions required

    Try one if you can. It's noticeably thinner at 33 mm, which makes it very pocket-friendly. That's why I take it everywhere.
  9. TimHughes

    Camera suggestions required

    You can also get an optical hot shoe waist-level viewfinder to help with framing those shots.
  10. TimHughes

    Camera suggestions required

    that's right it doesn't i have a small ovf that fits in the hotshoe
  11. TimHughes

    Camera suggestions required

    I know what you mean too, I much prefer using a camera. I agree a decent 1" sensor would be an improvement; I'm just not sure a decent can be had for GBP 300 at the moment. Maybe TZ100? Prices on compacts seem to have been rising recently. I've fallen in love with the Ricoh as the perfect...
  12. TimHughes

    Canon video settings for Photographers: RAW / Gamma, Gamut, Encoding, and When to Use What

    Prompted by an earlier question, I was reminded that the whole topic of video settings can be quite confusing, so I thought I'd put this together to help photographers moving into video to understand why these settings exist and how to know what settings you need. If you already shoot video...
  13. TimHughes

    Camera suggestions required

    Hmm, depending on what phone you have, the image quality from a compact within your budget vs your phone might be a toss-up? Worth testing if you can before you shell out.
  14. TimHughes

    Are my expectations too high?

    did someone say something? :ROFLMAO:
Back
Top