£100 to spend on a new lens

Name
Tracey
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking of spending some birthday money on a new lens for my Canon 50d, will have about a hundred pound, not a great deal I know, but can anyone recommend a useful lens for that.

I currently have 18-55 and 55-250mm.

I enjoy all kinds of photography, use the 55-250 for rugby, so maybe a decent one for portraits or other closer work.

50mm 1.8

50mm f1.8 MkII. Only lens you can buy new for that price and its optically fantastic. Primes are a great thing to use too, lack of zoom makes you consider the composition of your shot more.

Look in the for sale section here as thy come up fairly regularly for between £50 and £60 that's where I got mine . Great lens for portraits and more

You will definitely not regret getting a 50mm 1.8. There literally is no better lens than that for that kind of money, the image quality for the price is outstanding.

Thanks for the adviced, ordered from Amazon.
Good choice but they are a little fragile so treat it gently, particularly be careful when its in the camera bag as it needs protecting. IQ is very good from about f2.5 onwards. 1.8 is useable just not quite as sharp as at f2.5

On a crop body, I find the 50 f/1.8 very wide.
For not much more than £100, you could consider the 28mm f/2.8 or 35 f/2
(also the 50 f/2.5 'macro' is an interesting feature set).

On a crop body, I find the 50 f/1.8 very wide.
For not much more than £100, you could consider the 28mm f/2.8 or 35 f/2
(also the 50 f/2.5 'macro' is an interesting feature set).

Do you mean you find 50mm too long?...

Also, all those lenses you mention are over £200 new, the OP's budget is £100.

50mm on a crop is about equivalent to a 80-85mm on a full frame so perfect for portraits

Byker28i said:
50mm on a crop is about equivalent to a 80-85mm on a full frame so perfect for portraits

Missed the word portraits in OP. Also I was thinking more of used prices at a little over £100.

Back