£150 Tripod Advice

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I have a D700 and am looking to purchase my first tripod for it.
My budget is £150 for the tripod and was looking at a Manfrotto 190XPROB, has anyone any other suggestions ideally looking for one that is fairly lightweight and is able to go low for landscape shots?
Thanks in advance

Thanks will take a look, no thats just for the tripod I am going to purchase a head separately!

You can get a 190xprob with a 804rc2 or 496rc2 head for £145 or a 055xprob with either of the heads I mentioned for £150.

A couple of the new Giottos YTL range come in under £150 as well, they're a bit more compact when folded than most due to the Y shaped column.

Then there's the Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT for under £110 or the 264AT that folds smaller for £140.

Last edited:
I recently spent the whole day at FOCUS trying to decide on the perfect Tripod to fit my lightweight/compact but robust needs. I eventually settled on the Giottos Vitruvian 9255-5400-652 and am very pleased with it. Picked it up on Amazon for about £135.

Was very interested in the Silk Road YTL Series, but on handling at the show I realised that with the head attached they are quite long (although narrow).

The manfrotto you mention isn't that light...

I have been researching tripods recently and have gone for a feisol ct3441t, its £234 so more than you eant to pay, but looks very very good for the money.

I don't recommend MF 190 series (including aluminium 190PROB or carbon 190CXPRO) tripods to anyone with DSLR unless using very light wide angle only setup or compact/mirrorless camera.

The problem is that the diameter of leg tubes is very small - top one is 25mm down to 16mm and even 11.6mm on 4 section models. That's just not enough and greatly affects vibration resistance and stability.

If you are looking for stable yet light tripod you want the upper section diameter at least 28mm and 4 leg section with lowest not less than 16mm.

055 series are much better, but too bulky/heavy. I don't think I would pick Manfrotto tripod. They are just not good enough compared to Gitzo/Feisol/Sirui/Benro and other brands.

Thanks again for all your help guys there is almost too much choice out there!

Back