£200 max P&S suggestions?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Wife wants a new camera for xmas (even though there is nothing wrong with her old one) and we want to spend no more than £200.

Ideally it'll have decent zoom capabilities, be nice and compact (which is the only issue she has with her current one), record 1080p video and be pretty capable in low light.

I nearly talked her in to getting the Nikon1 but decided she wanted a hand bag camera :(

That fuji is an interesting suggestion. I'd been thinking about getting an X10, XZ1 or maybe S95 but that F600 looks to be a very good package for £200. I guess it just lacks the fast lens of the costlier cameras. Hmm tempting.

paulcamcas said:
That fuji is an interesting suggestion. I'd been thinking about getting an X10, XZ1 or maybe S95 but that F600 looks to be a very good package for £200. I guess it just lacks the fast lens of the costlier cameras. Hmm tempting.

yeah you can't really have your cake and eat it. I wanted to get a fast lens compact for the wife but the cost and the specs are not as good as the f600.

IXUS 115 HS is my recommendation, it can do all of the things you requested and is very cheap on a popular online store

The canon s95 was going for £240 on amazon a few days ago. Not sure if it's still the same?

The S95 is very nice, and it's good for size, user interface and image quality. I really like mine. :D

However, it hasn't got that large a zoom range, and the video while very nice on the few times I've used it, is not full HD at 720p. When I was going to get a compact I considered the Fuji F500 EXR, but fell on a few fronts for me, but the major one being the flash which pops up out of the body and stays up all the time. Seeing as I rarely use flash, having it sticking up in a vulnerable position waiting to be knocked was the major reason I decided against it.

I've heard good things about the Panasonic TZ20, which apart from being slightly large, at least compared to the S95, ticks a lot of the boxes by being a compact with a large zoom range and full 1080p video.

According to CameraPriceBuster it can be had for £185 atm.

If I hadn't have wanted a small compact with RAW and manual controls, the Panasonic may have been the one for me.

canon sx220 has a bit more super zoom and not too far behind the s95 apparently

p1tse said:
canon sx220 has a bit more super zoom and not too far behind the s95 apparently

Has that got the touch screen interface?

Has that got the touch screen interface?

No touch screen but a great zoom range and good IQ. SX230 hs is the same camera but with GPS, if you need it.
Allan

thanks for all the suggestions, after looking over them all she decided to go with the original suggestion of the Fuji :)

Back