£200ish to spend on a lens???

Edit My Images
Yes
Currently I have a 70-300 Sigma APO lens covering the longer stuff for my 400D but I have nothing below that.

I was contemplating just getting an 18-55IS but then I questioned my judgement and decided to add a little more budget to it.

Soooo a couple of questions, which is more usefull for a walkabout lens, a 2.8 apature or IS, as around the same price as a 17-85IS I can get hold of a Sigma 24-70 2.8 or a Tamron 28-75 2.8.

I take alot of landscape pic as well as closeup stuff but sharpness in the photo is paramount so anyhelp is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure what you can get a Sigma 10-20 for nowadays (probably slightly over your budget) but that'd be great for landscapes. Many people have it and love it.

I'd go for this one Tamron 28-75 2.8. unbeatable for the money, IS is no substitute for quality glass

For that budget either whats been suggested 2nd hand or how about a Sigma 17-70mm DC Macro? £210 abouts

At the shorter end, I would go for speed over IS.

Sorry to hyjack the thread somewhat but landscapes are usually done using a tripod so would the speed or IS matter? If handheld then Speed would be better agreed?

I agree with AndyWest, you don't need a fast lens for landscapes, as it'll be stopped down anyway to maximise depth of field! You're probably going to be using a tripod as well to be honest, so IS isn't a priority really either! I'd suggest the tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 as well, the 17mm at the wide end will be fine for landscapes (unless you want to go much wider, such as the 10-20mm, but that might leave you with a bit of a gap in the middle). But the f/2.8 will mean it's fast, and will be a goo walkabout lens for when 70mm is a bit too long!

Chris

From the original post.

Soooo a couple of questions, which is more usefull for a walkabout lens, a 2.8 apature or IS, as around the same price as a 17-85IS I can get hold of a Sigma 24-70 2.8 or a Tamron 28-75 2.8.

Thanks in advance

So for a WALKABOUT lens, I would say speed was more important at the shorter end than IS.

I'd agree with the 28-75, I believe there is some sample varaiation by the one I had was very sharp.

Hmmm the Tamron eh??

I'll start looking (y)

The Tamron 28-75 is a great lens, I have one and I am very happy with it. But as already said the Tamron 17-50 has a cracking reputation and is supposed to be very sharp. So the question you need to ask is how wide do you need to go. If you shoot landscapes and would like somthing at the wide end, I would o with the 17-50 as the 28 at the wide end is no good for landscape, but has more reach for general walkabout lens.

The 28-75 comes up alot second hand, there were a few on here last week, so best look there.

I picked mine up from ffordes for £169, immaculate condition and a real bargain.

Theres one on here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/digi...75mm-f-2-8-lens-nissin-di622-canon-flash.html

I will be looking to do the same in a couple of months time but one point comes to mind regarding fast wide angles,hand holding speeds are always reckoned to be the nearest equivalent to the focal length of the lens and I have always been able to hold a 28mm at 1/30thn and get pin sharp shots so why the need for speed at the wide end although it obviously is a major advantage with longer focal lengths

Would the Tamron one be this one:

Tamron 28-75 F2.8 XR Di

All these extra letters after the model I don't know if its an older or newer model.

for landscape, 28 is not wide enough on a 1.6 crop body. you should go for the tamron 17-50, i'm saving up for a ef-s 17-55.

yup, 28mm on a crop body isn't really that wide - I'd suggest going for the 17-50mm f/2.8 if landscapes are your thing.

Saying that, I have a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8, and it's just wide enough for me to be comfortable with landscapes...

Well i've just spied that 28-75 at a good price secondhand so if I got that I was thinking of getting an older wide lens for landscape stuff.

Hmmmm

Back