£300 to spend on an underwater camera

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all. A friend of mine has asked me today for advice on underwater gear. Unfortunately it's not something I know anything about.

So what shall I tell him. He's got a budget of £300 max and has been looking at the Sealife DC800.

To me though if there's a Canon or Nikon set up for similar money it'll probably be alot better quality.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Canon IXUS model with underwater housing?

Might be slightly over the £300 limit though unless you buy second hand?

I haven't got a 400D, I've got a 50D. Which doesn't really matter as I have no interest in getting it underwater.

I haven't got a 400D, I've got a 50D. Which doesn't really matter as I have no interest in getting it underwater.

Im sure I saw a 400D under your name about 10 minutes ago. :thinking: Think im going mad. Even if I had I still read the post wrong so sorry about that.

I have a Canon G9 as my point and shoot, and also have an underwater housing WP-DC21. I used these on holiday last year with the G9 set to underwater mode and got fantastic results. Shop around a bit and these might fit in to your budget although you may have to go for a used G9.

Underwater photography is an expensive hobby but housings can be had for most compact digitals these days. I would recommend getting in touch with Cameras Underwater and seeing what they have that will suit. Looking at their website there is a used Canon package in budget as well as a couple of new options from Fuji and Sealife. My personal preference would be the Fuji and Canon options. Ebay can be a good source of kit at good prices as well.

Fuji for me. of all the cameras I have used they do a fantastic job for a great price, and I have taken an f50 housings to 45m with no problem.

Used to have an Olympus waterproof Mju 770 SW - now have a drowned one... and a Canon D10. Images above water are better from the Canon than those from the Oly but can't comment on underwater ones until next week when it'll go snorkelling in Crete - hopefully staying waterproof! It's supposed to be w/proof down to 10m (but so was the Oly) so should be fine for snorkel depth. Will try to post a few pics once it's been dunked.

Back