£400 Budget, What to Get for Portrait/Travel

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

At the end of this month, i'm going to have around 400 to spend on a new set of kit. Im mainly interested in portraits and Travel, as a Competitive Yoyo Player and Judge, i travel to contests, around the UK and Europe, and its great to get a camera with me :)

No brand Loyalty, I've had Canon DSLRS, and Nikon's. As well as various film bits and bobs.

I'm open to Anything really, although i sway towards primes more than zooms, because they are a bit rubbish really :)

I"ve been Looking at a Fuji x10, although not got a prime, its small and feels pretty nice in the hand, and at that size, i'd probably carry with me at all times...

What would you get for 400 quid? :)

Open to Second hand as well :)

Simon

Last edited:
Hi

If you could stretch to 430, there's a D90 for 370 at mpb and a 50mm f1.8d in the classifieds for 60. Not sure what you're planning to shoot mind?

I shot a lot with that combo for about a year and it was ace!

S

I'd widget go with Fuji x10 (compact) or used Nikon D5000 (same sensor as D90 in a more compact body) and 50mm 1.8g (DSLR)

Next purchase would be a tamron 17-50mm non VC.

Out of the 2 choices I'd definitely choose the DSLR kit.

You could go with canon but their less expensive lenses aren't really in the same league as Nikon's for some reason, generally being quite soft wide open...

I think if i went the Nikon Route i'd be shooting myself in the foot if i didn't get a body with a Focus Motor. So many Cheap AF-D Len's.

You could do a lot, lot worse than one of these ...

Nikon 1 J1

Nikon have just introduced a J2 so there's a good price on the 'older' model. The image quality is superb and as for travel? Perfect

You could do a lot, lot worse than one of these ...

Nikon 1 J1

Nikon have just introduced a J2 so there's a good price on the 'older' model. The image quality is superb and as for travel? Perfect

Lack of Viewfinder puts me off :/

The Fuji x10 is great and produce good quality image. The viewfinder on the x10 is alright but not as good as the one in x100 or DSLR view finder. Just better then nothing thats all.

A fuji x100 would be perfect for you aps-c sensor lovely sharp fixed lens. £400 might be a push though.

If you went down the aps-c dslr route i would recommend a 30 or 35mm prime over a 50mm.

Last edited:
Another vote for X100 but again £400 would be a bargain as they are holding their prices fairly well (which is a good sign!)

Lol suit what? It's always a matter of opinion and shooting style.

Suit the op's breif which he's asking advice for.

I see so many people recommending the 'nifty fifty' everyone should have one in there bag, bla bla bla its people regurgitating advice given out in 35mm film days. Unless your using a FF dslr a 30mm- 35mm lens is a much more useful prime on a aps-c camera which will give you simillar feild of view as a 50mm on a FF.

Last edited:
35mm will give a better effective DoV when shooting on crop sensor. 50mm is more narrow to use when doing walkaround/holiday type of photo (for me at least). Is all matter of personal taste at the end of the day but i will choose 35mm over 50mm first.

It's 100% personal taste. Some will prefer the longer length and some the wider. It's not really advice we should be saying "this is what you need / would be better" but for us to say what we prefer and if needed, why.

I have to agree the BIG BIG Draw to Nikon is the 35mm 1.8G, And the fact that Canon don't really have something in the same price range. The 35mm f/2 cost a lot more..

I'm Stuck, I Prefer the Canon Glass, and the way that it render's images, but the Len's cost more, and the cheaper stuff isn't as good. Whereas, the Nikon stuff is great, and the cheaper glass is good, but i know that i'll always feel that its not Canon.

Or i Could get the Fuji, and keep a easy carry around camera.

Ugh choice's and choices...

I have to agree the BIG BIG Draw to Nikon is the 35mm 1.8G, And the fact that Canon don't really have something in the same price range. The 35mm f/2 cost a lot more..

I'm Stuck, I Prefer the Canon Glass, and the way that it render's images, but the Len's cost more, and the cheaper stuff isn't as good. Whereas, the Nikon stuff is great, and the cheaper glass is good, but i know that i'll always feel that its not Canon.

Or i Could get the Fuji, and keep a easy carry around camera.

Ugh choice's and choices...
You could try a happy medium. Don't canon make a 40mm prime? A pancake one to boot.

Last edited:
They certainly do make a 40 pancake, although only 2.8.

I have just bought one as I also find a 50 a bit long for general use and I am too tight to buy a 35. The 40 is a bit of a bargain at 139

The 40 seems to be becoming an good plan. With that i could just stretch to a 500D i think as well...

Although i could keep to a 350D or somthing and get another lens...

Hmm

Hmm leaning towards a 500D and the 40mm, few weeks pay will get me a 28mm as well. Also means that i can do some video which i am very interested in playing with :)

For travel personally I prefer not to lug a dslr around travel
Due to bulk, weight and being scared of it knocked

Back