£500 for 1st dslr???

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Just joined this forum, the content is great towards some of the other forums i have seen.

Anyway, i have around £500 for my 1st dslr which must include a lens, i will get the other bits and pieces for my 40th in January!!!!

Currently the Canon 450d with twin lens and 4mb card from jessops looks the favourite, the price is approx £550 with £50 cash back, the 2nd lens is a tamron lens whereas the twin canon lens kit is £100 dearer.

The only other dslr around that price range is the Nikon D80 which i understand is being phased out. I would really like to go for a nikon or canon seeing as there is a few 2nd hand lenses and kit around.

So the question is what would you recommend for a complete newbie?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Regards

Jonathan

are you after a new camera or 2nd hand?

The good thing about the D80 is it can use almost any AF lens made by Nikon since the mid 80s

Have you held a 450D, they're quite small

None of the gear I've bought has been new apart from a D300 so I wouldn't be put of by secondhand.

I'd jump straight in at the deep end if I were starting again £400 should buy you a Nikon D200 or a Canon 40D, if you start off with either of these you won't get upgradeitus or be stuck with kit lenses that are worth buttions secondhand.

Find a Nikon 18-70mm for around £100-120 or a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for around £200 and you'll be pretty much sorted.

save up and buy a decent longer lens and you won't regret it later on.

So the question is what would you recommend for a complete newbie?

Go along to Jessops and have a play around with every camera (within your price range and slightly above it) they have in the shop. See which ones feel comfortable to hold and use. That should narrow things down a bit. I bought a 400D a few months ago, (my first DSLR), and today I upgraded to a 40D for the simple reason that I think the 40D feels more hefty and 'expensive', (if that's the right word), and is a lot more comfortable to use. I might keep the 400D as a second camera/spare but if I'd tried the feel of the camera a few months ago I would have probably just bought the 40D first off and saved a few quid.

I'll go along with the previous posts, go for at least a 40D.

Thanks for the replies, i was here a few weeks ago then it was a used 20d before the misses let me up the budget which is why i started to look at new.

So you guys reckon i should go 2nd hand?

They have a couple of used d200s at mpbphotographic and a couple of lenses, i cannot see any used 40ds so will have a look on fleabay, any chance of someone having a look at the aforementioned site and letting me know what you think.

I suppose if anyone can recommend someone selling a 40d or d200 then all help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jonathan

im selling my 400d body, tehn spend the rest on a pair of lenses. check for sale section if your interested.

The good thing about the D80 is it can use almost any AF lens made by Nikon since the mid 80s

Have you held a 450D, they're quite small

None of the gear I've bought has been new apart from a D300 so I wouldn't be put of by secondhand.

I'd jump straight in at the deep end if I were starting again £400 should buy you a Nikon D200 or a Canon 40D, if you start off with either of these you won't get upgradeitus or be stuck with kit lenses that are worth buttions secondhand.

Find a Nikon 18-70mm for around £100-120 or a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for around £200 and you'll be pretty much sorted.

save up and buy a decent longer lens and you won't regret it later on.

If I was just starting up, this is the way I would go. Very good advice.

Go for it.

I spent £400 on my first DSLR a month ago and i have no regrets.

Currently looking for a good but cheap 70-300mm Canon lens..

Buy the camera that you feel the most comfortable using and that you can get a good feel on what button does what, etc.

I chose the 400D, excellent camera and in my opinion its faultless.

Some friends have a 5D and a 40D and for what i shoot i prefered to 400D.

You can pick up cheap lens' on ebay, but getting outbid at the last minute is frustrating.

Whatever you chose, enjoy it :)

The 450D is *very* small. When I tried it out myself, it was very difficult to hold it comfortably and keep it steady. Personally I think second-hand is the best option: I bought a D200 body for effectively £400 (£485 was the price I paid, but that included the battery grip) just a few days ago from this forum, and that £100 leaves a reasonable amount of money for a lens to start out (a Nikon 18-55mm VR could be found for that on eBay).

Has any one bought from mpbphotographic?

As i said previous they have a couple of D200s for sale and a few lenses!!

I brought a Nikon D40 (which i'm now selling) just over a year ago, i've found it to take really good pictures straight out of the box but got frustrated with the controls being buried in the menu system and the lack of Af lens support (that's getting better though).

Have just 'upgraded' to a used Nikon D200 and it feels so much better, a big step up but the controls are just 'to hand' and it's a much more solid feeling camera.

I'd say definatley go for a good second hand Canon or Nikon. Saves an Upgrade and loosing money in the near future!!

As other's have advised - pop into a local Jessops or something and have a feel of both Nikon and Canon, i did just that and preferred the Nikon way of doing things (y)

I haven't bought from them but £409 and £424 for the D200s with 6 months warranty has to be a good deal, they make that on ebay with no warranty, the £424 one only has 12,000 actuations which is low

I'd go for the £424 D200 and the 18-70 at £99, they make at least that secondhand so if you want to upgrade it you'll easily get your money back

Whatever you do go play with the different bodies before you decide.

Has any one bought from mpbphotographic?

As i said previous they have a couple of D200s for sale and a few lenses!!

Ive bought two lenses from mpbphotographic, both excelent quality, a good price and quick delivery.

Easily accessible on the phone too.

Hi

I'd go second hand too. Bought a Canon 400D about a year ago and am looking at upgrading to the 40D in the next month or so. I think it depends what you want it for - if its to replace a compact and just for nicer snaps you'll be more than happy with a 450D or equivalent. If you want to take your hobby to the next level then go for something like a second hand 40D.

Anna

Size isn't everything. I am 6' 1" tall, my hands are large with a span fingertip to tip of 9.5", and I find my 400D fine size-wise. And I havent a clue why you would need at least a 40D to 'take your hobby to the next level'. :shrug:

How about getting just the 50mm f/1.8 to start with (£55) and then the best body you can get with the balance.

FWIW I find the full-frame equivalent is on my camera 90% of the time.

Well thanks to you all, i am now the proud owner of a Nikon D200 after the advice you gave me.
I managed to find a guy 20 mins from me selling his D200 on ebay, i have no lens to try so he brought his new D300 with him and took a lens of that and showed it me working.
I managed to get the camera (body only) for £400 it came in the original box with all the original bits even the blackout cover(i think it is called that). He showed me the original receipt from Jessops March 2007, He said he does not know how many actuations it has fired but guessed approx 2500!.

The body is in like new condition so i hope fingers crossed i have bought a good buy, my mate is bringing a lens in work tomorrow for me to lend.

I guess the next thing is to get a lens, memory card, bag etc, any recommendations keep them coming.

Thanks to you all, and on to my next post about lenses.

Cheers

Jonathan

Back