£500 to spend...

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
Just doing a bit of research for a mate.

He has £500 (or thereabouts) to spend on a macro lens and a flashgun. He's on Canon (50D) so I've suggested the 430EX; it's for doing macro work shooting pics of fly-tying so massive power isn't needed, hence why I said the 430EX. So that's £200 dealt with.

However, that doesn't leave a load for a macro lens.

The EF-S 60mm is good I've heard but that's about £335 these day and the 100mm USM that he uses for work is £420 now, so well out of his reach.

He's not keen on 2nd hand, although I'm urging him to reconsider because it allows you to get more bang for your buck. Let's talk new for now though.

I've said that probably his best bets are the Tokina and Tamrons. Sigma's 105mm is well over £350 these days so not an immediate consideration. I know the Tamron 90mm SP is £335 also, and the Tokina 100mm is £340. Are they worth paying that kind of money when compared to the Canon equivalents?

One thing I did find on the Park cameras website is the EF 50mm f/2.5 macro for £250 - on an APS-C that gives a decent focal length and seeing as he's shooting static objects, getting in close isn't a massive problem. Is this lens any good? I've read the photoszone review and it looks positive, despite the age of the design circa 1987) and slower AF compared to the EF-S 60mm. He ALWAYS manually focuses because it's all studio-based work byt the way.

I'm not totally au fait with Canon gear of this kind so any help would be appreciated....

Back