£5000 to play with?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, i currently have a 7D with the following, canon 10-22, 15-85 IS, 70-200 f4 IS, sig 30mm, canon 50mm MKII canon 430EXII

I want to rethink my lens line up completely and also thinking about swapping around my bodies, i have about £5000 to play with in total with the money saved and what id get from selling my current lenses.

Im thinking of maybe selling my 7D and picking up a 5D II and 60D as i shoot a good few weddings!

which would leave me with around £3800-4000 to play with, any suggestions and ideas would be very appreciated :)

Or ditch your canon gear and get a used Hasselblad H3DII-31 for £4000....

I know what I'd do ;)

I know what I'd do ;)

the other 1k would stretch to a wide and a tele lens too :)

Cover the bases with three of these:

17-40/4, 16-35/2.8
24-105/4, 24-70/2.8
70-200/4, 70-200/2.8

Sprinkle with the fast primes of your choice. Maybe something longer? Extenders work well on a 70-200/2.8 Mk2.

5D2, keep the 7D. Add 580EX2. Set of tubes, or a macro.

Hi, I now shoot with the 60D /5DII combo and they do complement each other very well.

FWIW, I suspect the 7D is a better camera than the 60D in many ways but the small format of the 60D plus screen won me over.

Anyway, lens wise, I now have 14, 24, 50, 85, 135 and 300 primes plus the 16-35 zoom and a 120-300 on the way. I also have owned just about every Canon FL from 24 upwards (800 apart) and shoot weddings. My advice is to go with the two bodies you mention plus the 24LII, 50L or Siggy 50f1.4, plus the 70-200f2.8 IS II (NOT the I). Not sure how much this lot will tot up to but it will give a great wedding lineup. 24LII on the 60D is good for groups and the zoom on the FF for closeups etc.. - nice !

Obviously you will need a flash and also the 16-35 L is not to be overlooked if you fancy another zoom. But some combination of the above will no doubt work a treat for you.

Good luck with your selection.

Gary

Last edited:
Mahoneyd187 said:

I know what I'd do ;)

I just Google this And just had a hart attack at the prices dam and I thought a couple of grand on a body was a lot...

I just Google this And just had a hart attack at the prices dam and I thought a couple of grand on a body was a lot...

don't google the H4 then... ;)

or the Phase IQ180.... :)

these aren't toys :)

Im thinking

- 5D II, 60D

-16-35mm II
-24-105 f4 IS
-70-200 MKII

-24 1.4L
-85 1.4∑

itsdavedotnet said:
don't google the H4 then... ;)

or the Phase IQ180.... :)

these aren't toys :)

Yea I did.... lol

I am sorry but I can get a brand new mid to high range merc or bmw for that kind of money so you can get all that car engine electric and so on

And the same for a camera..... I know there blot of work and detail in a camera. But so is a car so how the hell do they get a camera priced at this..

I'd like to know what the profit margin is on these cameras ..

Im thinking

- 5D II, 60D

-16-35mm II
-24-105 f4 IS
-70-200 MKII

-24 1.4L
-85 1.4∑

(y)

But why trade the 7D for 60D? And you have to want f/2.8 very badly to go for the 16-35.

Yea I did.... lol

I am sorry but I can get a brand new mid to high range merc or bmw for that kind of money so you can get all that car engine electric and so on

And the same for a camera..... I know there blot of work and detail in a camera. But so is a car so how the hell do they get a camera priced at this..

BMW sell a few more cars than top camera makers,I guess the profit on one of these is high but only selling a handfull a year it would have to be to make it worth the effort.

snigg said:
BMW sell a few more cars than top camera makers,I guess the profit on one of these is high but only selling a handfull a year it would have to be to make it worth the effort.

Yea good point did not think about that

I agree you should keep the 7D, I think you would regret it considering the difference in money involved and the difference in ability. Get the 5DII and either 24-70 or 24-105, keep the 70-200. And then pick a fast prime that will give you options on both bodies. Perhaps the 50 1.2. The 100 macro IS because its awesome and not that much for what it is.

And you can always buy me a 17-40 if you got any left.(y)

Cover the bases with three of these:

17-40/4, 16-35/2.8
24-105/4, 24-70/2.8
70-200/4, 70-200/2.8

Sprinkle with the fast primes of your choice. Maybe something longer? Extenders work well on a 70-200/2.8 Mk2.

5D2, keep the 7D. Add 580EX2. Set of tubes, or a macro.

You've nailed my shopping list, except I would go for a 10-22 rather than the 16-35. However, that purely as I'd like an UWA for city/landscapes.

Sprinkling of primes would start with a 50/1.4

Had a practice / borrow of a 24-70/2.8 and v. impressed with it.

The 24-70 is getting a lot of love here.

IMHO, it is a really great lens on FF but on a crop (7D or 60D) body it is neither very wide nor very long so has limited use. I had the 24-70 and sold it because of this. Personally, I think a 16-35 makes MUCH more sense given the OPs intended bodies. It gives a very useul UWA on a FF and a great walkabout on a crop. OPtically it at least matches the 24-70 as well.

Had a big think about this as I walked the dog this am. All things considered I would go for a 7D, 5D2, Canon 16-35, Siggy 50f1.4, Canon 70-200 f2.8 ISII line-up if I were the OP. Looks about on budget and could maybe add a 580 EXII in there as well ?

Regards

Gary

17-40mm / 16-35mm
24-70mm f2.8
70-200m f2.8 is II
5d ii
580ex
And whatever primes you fancy ;)

I think id probably end up only using the following...

60D + 70-200 MkII
5D II + 24L/35L + ∑85

and occasionally 16-35 for ultra wide shots

5D MARK II
35MM 1.4
85MM 1.2
70-200MM IS 2.8

That is my suggestion, from wide angle to a larger zoom range lens!

The 24-70 is getting a lot of love here.

IMHO, it is a really great lens on FF but on a crop (7D or 60D) body it is neither very wide nor very long so has limited use. I had the 24-70 and sold it because of this. Personally, I think a 16-35 makes MUCH more sense given the OPs intended bodies. It gives a very useul UWA on a FF and a great walkabout on a crop. OPtically it at least matches the 24-70 as well.

Had a big think about this as I walked the dog this am. All things considered I would go for a 7D, 5D2, Canon 16-35, Siggy 50f1.4, Canon 70-200 f2.8 ISII line-up if I were the OP. Looks about on budget and could maybe add a 580 EXII in there as well ?

Regards

Gary

I don't like 24-70 at all. In a APSC, it is a little bit long. In full frame, it is a little bit soft compare with 35L

I wish I had that money to spend on camera equipment.. Will you even see any major differences over the 7d and the lenses you have.

Yea I did.... lol

There is a whole world out there of Medium format digital, large format digital scanning backs, HMI lights (set ups of which will make a Hasselblad H4D-60 purchase look like a bargain) etc that make squabbles over £1500 DSLR bodies look very trivial

I spoke to a photographer the other week who revealed that a single portfolio shot, yes one shot to go in his portfolio, had cost him £xxxx's of his own money in production alone.

There is a whole world out there of Medium format digital, large format digital scanning backs, HMI lights (set ups of which will make a Hasselblad H4D-60 purchase look like a bargain) etc that make squabbles over £1500 DSLR bodies look very trivial

I spoke to a photographer the other week who revealed that a single portfolio shot, yes one shot to go in his portfolio, had cost him £xxxx's of his own money in production alone.

Another photographer is 'still feeling the effects' of hiring an elephant for single day for a portfolio shot... 6 or 7 years ago!

At the high end, there is a lot more to photography than weddings and babies :)

Last edited:
  • Canon 5d Mkii
  • Carl Zeiss 21mm f2.8.Distagon ZE
  • Carl Zeiss 100mm MP T* f2.0

Then save up for Canon 70-200mm f2.8L II IS USM Zoom lens (or wait for 100-400mm L II IS USM?)

Definately game over on the above..... unless you want to get into the big telephotos that require a second mortgage. :D

Last edited:
Ill be doing weddings mostly, and obviously its still a big hobby to me, but i do alot of landscape and video work when not doing weddings.

I have £3000 ready to splash and when i sell my current line up to fund my new lineup it should give me around £5000 minimum.

But id love the 35L as i love the sig30 on my 7D but want something wider, i think the 24L might be a little to wide at the moment, and id love a longer prime, so the sigma 85mm would be a great choice.

My concerns if grabbing a 5DII also is not having anything left over for my flash equipment :|

I keep going over in my head do i keep the 7D do i sell... at the same time its a fantastic body so id rather have it to compliment the 5DII

Hmmm choices choices choices lol :)

If you are doing weddings then you will need 2 bodies, so you are going to have to keep the 7d..

So for weddings that means the 5Dmk2 with the 24-70 - £2600
Plus the 70-200 2.8 £900
580 speedlight £300
Maybe get the 85mm just because it is lovely £300

that is £4100

Now, what I would say is that doesn't give you any backup kit if you are at the wedding and your flash dies, or your 24-70 decides it doesn't want to play etc... It might be a case of deciding if you are going to get kit for a wedding or kit for fun..wedding kit will require duplication just in case things go pear shaped...

Plus - sorry to be boring - professional indemnity, public liability, equipment loss/damage and budget for an increase to your car insurance.

Equipment - bare min:

2 bodies, 5d is still a great camera, 5d2 is a better option. 2nd body could even be a 40d.

Lenses primes offer more image quality for the buck but less flexibility. Speed is important. But final choice comes down to the style you have and your preferences.

Let us know you decisions !

I'd aim for the prime trinity just because they make me feel all tingly :D

As for the camera I'd wait a bit and get the 5DMKII depending on the actual quality of course. It might just be worth getting the 5DMKII, you never know. Still, you'd need more than £5k for that ::puke:

Id love to have 35L, ∑85, 135L, but i need something with a bit more versatility on the long end, so id have to go with the 70-200II instead but i really need to stretch £5000 lol, it goes so quickly its unreal :)

Back