£600 budget- second hand canon 5d (mk1) or newer cheaper canon model???

Name
cally
Edit My Images
Yes
i'm interested in buying a second hand/ new camera to start taking professional portrait photos. My problem is for now my budget for a camera body is only £600-£700. My question is do i go for a second hand canon 5d (mark1) (which you seem to be able to pick up off ebay for £500-600) or something like a new canon 60d. I know the 5d is a brilliant camera but it was made in 2001! I know the main advantage of full frame is better image quality and better iso performance (less noise) BUT with the changes in technology can you not get better performace out of the cheaper models in terms of iso/ image quality. Any views would be really appreciated. :)

You know what - I didn't listen to the guy who told me to go and buy the 5D Mk1 a year and a half ago ... I wish I had.

I hope that answers your question!!!! ;)

Actually I realise thats not helpful, I'll elaborate. The 5D Mk1, for the especially for the purpose of doing portraits will give you better IQ than the 60D. It will give you better IQ overall up until around ISO 1600.

Last edited:
For your purposes you won't need video or high ISO, so I would definitely in your position go for a 5D1.

Its worth noting that the 5D1 at ISO100 is cleaner than the 5D MKII at ISO100 and ISO performance is very very similar up until ISO 1600.

I acquired a 5d mk1 recently and the iq at low iso is lovely (and up to iso 1600).

But - compared to my 50d it's quite slow and clunky to use. The two are different beasts (as would be a 60d/7d). But at iso 1600 and above, I prefer the 50d files (don't know why but DPP seems to clean them up better?) but for what I use the 5d for I'll rarely go above 400 iso.

For portraits it would be ideal, only superseded by the mk2 IMO.

Last edited:
5D 3-0 60D FT

:LOL:

Btw I used to have the 60D too, I can guarantee you that you will want to get a 5d sooner or later. The 60D was great - I can't fault it on overall performance but the IQ isn't comparable really at low ISO.

Furthermore, pair it with the superb Canon 85mm f/1.8 and you have a very capable portrait setup for under £800.

Furthermore, pair it with the superb Canon 85mm f/1.8 and you have a very capable portrait setup for under £800.

A great pairing, they seemed to be made for each other, however if 85 is too long get a 50 1.8 (very very cheap, very very good IQ - albeit supposed poor build quality) or better still a 50 1.4 (canon or sigma, whichever floats your boat).

I've had/got a 50D and a 5D mk1 - I love the IQ of the 5D its just "nicer", it may not resolve like a 50D but for portrait work you probably wont want that anyway.

5D (mk 1) every time.

Matt

As long as you don't regularly need to print at 30*20 or larger, or shoot sports, then go with the 5D, any day. For general usage the 5D is an absolute gem (though maybe a bit big for an everyday walkabout to take out with you obviously).

Back