£7.99 Amazon Prime monthly charge

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I have been checking through my bank statements, and have noticed that I have been charged £7.99 by Amazon for the last four months. The last time I bought anything from Amazon was back in April (hearing aid batteries for my brother in law in Iran). I would not willingly have signed up to this given that the batteries only cost around £6. Does anyone know how I can go about cancelling this ASAP.

Email Amazon Customer Care they should confirm what the amount is for and help resolve the issue.

Cheers guys, I have just logged in and edited my membership options, and they have confirmed that my membership would cease on 19th September and that my account will not be debited after that.
What is the advantage of Prime? Can I still buy things from Amazon without using Prime?

If you get in touch with their customer care department and explain that you must have joined prime by failing to click one of the myriad buttons that you needed to to avoid joining prime, they might (?should?) refund your money.

I nearly got stung a while back but spotted an email welcoming me to prime so cancelled before the free sample period ended.

and have noticed that I have been charged £7.99 by Amazon for the last four months.
"Continue - And sign up to Prime" options.
I got caught like a couple or so years back, I only spotted it when they screwed up sent me some prime offer email or other.

What is the advantage of Prime?
Something about TV & free P&P on some items but I've not found an advantage ( for me) yet.

Can I still buy things from Amazon without using Prime?
Of course as above I buy stuff from them on and off, without the prime thing

One sneaky thing I have seen is I buy on product regularly, occasionally when I go to reorder they claim it is only for prime members, so I order through a market place seller, low and behold when I go back a couple of weeks later it is open to all...a few weeks later and it’s back to claiming prime only....

Just a quick update. I did some Googling and went back on their site, linked up to chat with a rep, and it looks as though they are going to refund the £31.96 within 5 - 7 days. There are quite a few news articles featuring this auto renewal, and I am quite lucky because it seems as though some folks had the annual £79 taken after the first month.

Same thing happened to me. It's very easy to accidentally "Sign up" and not notice till you check your bank statement.
If you can show that you haven't accessed any of the Prime "Benefits", films and what have you, you should have no problem getting a refund...I did and so did lots of folk i know caught out similarly.

Same thing happened to me. It's very easy to accidentally "Sign up" and not notice till you check your bank statement.
If you can show that you haven't accessed any of the Prime "Benefits", films and what have you, you should have no problem getting a refund...I did and so did lots of folk i know caught out similarly.

Thanks Graham. The orginal purchase back in April came to £26, and since then I haven't used Amazon at all. I didn't even know about the films and all the other guff which was included until I went in and cancelled it last night. I know that I didn't get next day delivery on the original order, because it took about 3 days and I had to pick it up from an Amazon locker in the local Morrisons which is around 4 miles away.

Having signed up for it and realising my mistake (?gullability?), I cancelled but still had the rest of the month's free trial. I looked at a couple of episodes of the Grand Tour, decided it was as crap as TG had become towards the end of the Clarkson era and waved happily goodbye at the end of the trial. I'm now rather more careful about which buttons I DON'T click when checking out...

You get unlimited online photo storage with prime afaik, to some that'll be worth it alone.

I've found that the next day delivery option isn't reliable with prime - items being delivered 1-2 days after. Rather than vans coming down our road I walk to our local Whole Foods and collect from there....

Four lots of £7.99 back in my account - I was lucky, but I still feel they are acting a bit shadily.

Four lots of £7.99 back in my account - I was lucky, but I still feel they are acting a bit shadily.
Nothing shady about it, you probably took the free month trial, and forgot to cancel. It happens.

I've been a prime member for a few years, the tv is ok and so is the music. I find the delivery very useful but mostly choose the weekend. The Prime sale days can be very good and I can save the yearly fee quite easily with some carefully chosen bargains usually around Christmas.

Back