£700 to £800 good?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Is it a good price to pay for a 70-200 f2.8 canon L series lens 2nd hand?
I currently have £600, the first chance that some one offers the above lens should i snap their hands off OR is £800 alot too much for the non IS one?

I know this is not in the wanted section, any one want to get rid of a 70-200 f2.8 L canon lens?

largely depends on age John, the non-IS has been around for the last 15 year if I remember correctly. I've seen an early example go for £300 (tatty as hell though), but I've also seen £800 fetched for a < 1 year old versions. But the middle of your price range is about right for a recent copy in good condition, but does vary subject to age and condition

ads

Only reason im asking, I was all out for shelling £1600 for the brand new lens but what happens when i dont like it or some thing makes me want to change, £1600 is alot for a new lens when i could spend £800 for a 2nd hand one and not loose as much.

1600 is for an is version the non is version is 899 new.

Think i might have to dose up on the Marathon bars if i get a non IS version, just to stop me shaking like a rabbid dogs tail.

Only reason im asking, I was all out for shelling £1600 for the brand new lens but what happens when i dont like it or some thing makes me want to change, £1600 is alot for a new lens when i could spend £800 for a 2nd hand one and not loose as much.

I understand where you're coming from - although I'm not sure on the comment about whether you'll like it or not? I presume it be the focal range? Any of the canon 70-200's are excellent with the IS mkII being mega and mega pricey too. But what with the resale values being 15% or so less than brand new price it's certainly a good idea to go down the 2nd hand route if you're not sure if a particular lens is right for you, and sell without much loss if you wish.

I understand where you're coming from - although I'm not sure on the comment about whether you'll like it or not? I presume it be the focal range? Any of the canon 70-200's are excellent with the IS mkII being mega and mega pricey too. But what with the resale values being 15% or so less than brand new price it's certainly a good idea to go down the 2nd hand route if you're not sure if a particular lens is right for you, and sell without much loss if you wish.

Right, thats made my mind up. 1st lens to come up a year old or less for about 700 ish i will be having.

Might buy the IS version at a later date.

Thank you

Back