1/18 Porsche 911 GT3-R

cant fault them at all, i reckon if you had not said these were die cast, nobody would have guessed.

well done :)

:plus1: Sharp colorful and the reflection works very well.

Cheers, guys. I try to make the models look as real as possible, and that's where Canon's lovely wee 17-40 comes in! The closer I can get the lens to the subject, the more realistic the perspective. I also use a Canon 5DMkI for this type of shot, which I bought for a song a few months ago. It may not have the autofocus for motorsport, but for static shots (car/bike shows, landscape, product shots, etc), it's excellent!

Now thats very nice indeed :) I've tried some similar shots recently but struggled with the environment. May I ask about how these were lit please?

Now thats very nice indeed :) I've tried some similar shots recently but struggled with the environment. May I ask about how these were lit please?
You certainly can! :) Here's a pic of my setup, although I have since bought a bigger light-tent and new lights also.

And these are my new lights. They are superb, being very compact with adjustable brightness. Because they run on batteries, there are no cables to trip you up either! Needless to say I use rechargeable batteries.

Link to the lights;
http://www.7dayshop.com/special/see...ght&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email

Please note the lights do not come with tripods!

Forgot to say, I use a piece of black glass, cut to order from a local glazier, for my base.

Last edited:
Yep looks like a full size car to me also, great work.

Love the reflection in the first shot and the detail is superb.
Cheers for the link to the lights,just what I been looking for :ty:

Stunning! Your photography makes the car look utterly real.

Plus I love Porsches. Got some instruction around Nurburgring on a private trackday in a track prepared Porsche C4 - An experience to always remember, Safe but Fun.

Thanks for the comments, guys. @ Clive, only too glad to help. I've tried quite a few different lighting set ups previous to my discovering these. They are so much handier than anything I've tried before. I used to use a hand-held rechargeable inspection light, but since I've started to use focus-stacking ( the superb and easy to use Zerene Stacker) for my model pics, I needed static lighting for consistency.

Last edited:
Excellent shots - love the reflection you get as well (y)

Would love to see some more of these from different cars in your collection if you're planning to do some more? :)

btw - is that a Capri in your setup pic? :D

Last edited:
Ooh the car dreams are made of... :D

Always been a massive fan of the Capri - many a year when I was younger in the Capri Club International :LOL:

Nice job, the realism is superb. I prefer the 911 shots as there are a few places on the Cabri where you can see to much of the reflection of the soft boxes but difficult to fault overall and love the reflections.

I know what you mean about the reflections in the Capri pics. I was going to edit them out, but decided to leave them as I feel they add life to the gloss of the paint finish. I probably should have edited out the reflections in the glass, though. ;)

Superb. Your model making is obviously equal to your camera skills. Both are excellent. They would have had me totally fooled if you hadn't have mentioned the diecast bit.

Superb. Your model making is obviously equal to your camera skills. Both are excellent. They would have had me totally fooled if you hadn't have mentioned the diecast bit.

I wish I could take the credit for their assembly, but they are already fully built. I used to build my own, many years ago, but no longer have the time or space to build more!

WOW these shots are awesome!!! (y)
I really love the reflections and the very clear details, i commented on your other thread asking what you used under the car for the reflections.
I see above that you mentioned you got some Black glass cut.

Great job, look forward to seeing some more ;)

Interesting, they look so realistic- I'd be tempted to try this myself. What scale are the models?

Interesting, they look so realistic- I'd be tempted to try this myself. What scale are the models?

They are 1/18 scale, as is most of my collection, apart from a few 1/12 cars and quite a few 1/12 bikes.

:plus1:

A big thumbs up from me too! Full marks for a really effective set-up!

hi mate gave this a try as ive got a black glass table and a black light box for the surrounding and didnt think it looked to bad till i looked back at these! haha I only got my camera 2 days ago so was trying some stuff out but have only got the 18mm-55mm lens that came with it so it was so hard. How did you manage to get it to focus on the whole car as mine would only focus on the back or front and didnt look real at all lol i was gonna post a pic but dont wanna ruin the thread mate lol

hi mate gave this a try as ive got a black glass table and a black light box for the surrounding and didnt think it looked to bad till i looked back at these! haha I only got my camera 2 days ago so was trying some stuff out but have only got the 18mm-55mm lens that came with it so it was so hard. How did you manage to get it to focus on the whole car as mine would only focus on the back or front and didnt look real at all lol i was gonna post a pic but dont wanna ruin the thread mate lol

I use Zerene Stacker focus-stacking software. I use manual focusing, and I start by focusing on the front-most part of the model, and then focus progressively farther back...usually 7 to 10 images is enough. With your 18-55, if you use as small an aperture as possible (f18 or larger), you will achieve a greater depth of field, but will need to increase the lighting/ISO/exposure/ time to compensate....and a good tripod!

Last edited:
Back