1.4x Teleconvertor for Nikon D50

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Just trying to suss out which teleconverter to get for my Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro II lens...

This is my xmas gift from my Father, so trying ot make sure we don't muck up and order the wrong one lol.

Can anybody confirm for me that if I was to get this one, that it is correct and will produce 420mm from my 300mm long end?

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=99538

I've tried the lens chart but the link seems dead...

Or, would this be a better option? x2 convertor : http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=99553

Thanks in advance ofr any help!

Regards,

Dan

Its might work, but you are likely to lose auto focus on the long end as its will push the aperture to f6.3 If you use the 2X converter, you will definately lose auto focus.

Its might work, but you are likely to lose auto focus on the long end as its will push the aperture to f6.3 If you use the 2X converter, you will definately lose auto focus.

Cheers buddy,

Looks like leaving it then and looking for something else.

Thanks

Hi Djaphoto,

Messiah is right. With a TC you gain focal length. You also 'gain' focal softness, flare, chromatic abberation (a.k.a. purple fringeing), and you lose a couple stops of light sensitivity!
In short: you get terrible image quality.

So, imo, TC's are not worth their price.

Have fun!

Slight exaggeration there W.Smith. I know CT uses a 1.4x and a 2x and gets perfectly acceptible image quality. I use a 2x to take my 300mm up to a 600mm f5.6 and while it does introduce some softness, I certainly wouldn't say it gives "terrible image quality". Also if the only other option is to buy a lens of the focal length you need, ie a 600mm f4 which to many people are excessivly expensive then teleconverters offer good value for money.

You also 'gain' focal softness, flare, chromatic abberation (a.k.a. purple fringeing), and you lose a couple stops of light sensitivity!
In short: you get terrible image quality.

QUOTE]

Thats a very sweeping statment! While I agree that on a consumer lens like the Sigma 70-300 you will probably get all of the above, put a 1.4x on a good lens (Canon L, Sigma Ex etc) and all you will get is more focal length with no loss of image quality;)

Doh....beaten to it by speedy fingers Kahn

I've used a kenko 1.5x on the same lens on my pentax k10 and been well pleased with the results, only lose auto focus in real bad light cost me about £95 highly recomend it.

It's not loss of autofocus or loss of image quality that's the obstacle here.

The problem is physical fit. The rear element of the lens will likely foul the teleconverter causing damage to both the teleconverter and lens!

Thanks all for the replies.

Looks like waiting for an upgrade in lens if the TC is not a good option with my lens, I'm now going to change my xmas list for a flashgun instead ;)

Dan

Back