1 Body or Two ?

A bit of an open question, don't you think?

Are you including professional work where you most likely require extra bodies (weddings, events, sports etc) or just personal work?

Also Are you including film cameras, SLR's, medium format, compact cameras, bridge cameras etc, is it DSLR only or are you including every type of camera?

Last edited:
3 :D

400 on one, 70-200 on another and third behind the goals on a remote @ 24mm

A bit of an open question, don't you think?

Are you including professional work where you most likely require extra bodies (weddings, events, sports etc) or just personal work?

Also Are you including film cameras, SLR's, medium format, compact cameras, bridge cameras etc, is it DSLR only or are you including every type of camera?

You are quite right it was a bit open,However saying that this is in the 'TALK SPORTS' section , I originally wanted to know if the sports guys,,,Rugby and Footy, were only using a single body with a long lens or if they were all using two bodies with a short lens/Zoom on a second body..

I know from a personal point of view about the necessity of wedding togs to produce, whatever the situation... Belt n Braces so to speak!

Cheers Andy...How productive is the body behind the goals ?

Last edited:
Now you clarified the sport :)

If I know I can shoot from the sidelines and get towards half way then i shoot one body and my 300mm .. it frames both goals perfectly

If I am stuck to ends then 135mm on the MKIII and 400mm on the mk1V

Ive shot for about 18 month with just 1 body and a 300mm with a 1.4x attached, i havent really missed the 2nd body except for the big occasions like Grand finals Cup finals etc

During the Pro off season i wouldnt dream of using 2 bodies anyway especially as i tend to move up the sidelines during the amateur games

Using 2 bodies does make a difference but ive not really missed that much without 2

You really only need to use your eyes at sports events to see togs with 2/3 cameras covering a range of focal lengths.

Most will have a 70-200 for fairly close work and a fast 400/500 for getting those shots to isolate the subjects.

i would say any professional photographer should have more than one camera body for all the same reasons - can provide a better variety and what if....

depends where im sat, i am terrible at switching cameras, so i tend to sit in a position where i can get the goal mouth in the frame with my 300.
to be honest when i use 2 cameras i tend to spend more time worrying about getting the other camera ready, then missing the shot.
so...bascially if im too close to the net, ill use 2 bodies, if not ill shoot one.

I sold my D300 second body to pay for another D3 but have had a problem
with that transaction so been shooting with 1 body for a month.... Tbh it's a nightmare. For Rugby you tend to be at the end of the pitch and it tends to be celebrations and try's that sell... Photographing a try under your nose with a 400mm doesn't work so a second body is a must IMO.

If you shoot with 1 body you wish you had 2, if you shoot with 2 you'll want three etc etc to cover all angles.
I have two, one with a prime, and a 70-200 for goals etc and celes. It does take some getting used to when to change over in play, normally just as goal goes in :LOL:

Shaun

Two bodies for football always. One with 300 and one with 70-200. Missed my 400 at first but as I now only do commissions I'm usually dictated as to which attack to cover so 300 is ok.

Just one body? Only ONE camera? Just the ONE?

I'd guess that, statistically, most camera users in the world have only one body. It's just that, in this place, the kit monster reigns supreme.:LOL:

Thank you all very much for your views..

For my level of shooting, I only need the one but saying that, having the two bodies has been great sometimes as I have captured the moment where as with the long lens it would not have been possible.

Tug

Back