12" x 36" Print

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all,

I'm new to the forums and relatively to photography. At my son's baseball tournament this weekend, a group of photographers took team photos on the first day and had them printed the next day. The photos measured 12" x 36". I was wondering if anybody could point me in the general direction of a printer that could pump out these prints. The extrovert in me wanted to go talk to them about their printer today, which was in the back of a panel van, but the introvert told me to not approach them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Not entirely clear what you're looking for here.

Unless you have a copy of the original processed image you won't have much chance getting more prints.

Otherwise, there are plenty of online companies who will print your images to size.

Dougie.

Sorry, I wasn't crystal clear. I like taking photos of various sports and am interested in purchasing a large format printer that can pump out these team photos.

Hi and welcome to TP

Like @Snapper67 I am not clear on what specifically you are asking..........but....

If you are looking to replicate what the official photographers were doing?

AFAIK most onsite services that print on demand like you describe use Dye Sub Printers but I do not think they go above 8inch wide materials. So more likely they were printing them, maybe, on inkjet printers..................of if they were coming out very quickly colour laser printers :meh!!:

The company concerned may even state what their tech in use is on their website.

HTH :)

PS 12 x 36" is sort of semi panoramic, A3 paper is 11.7 inches wide so roll paper would perhaps work?

PPS depending of the printer solution..........how deep are your pockets???

Last edited:
Sorry, I wasn't crystal clear. I like taking photos of various sports and am interested in purchasing a large format printer that can pump out these team photos.

My camera club use an Epson R2880 printer which produces excellent quality prints (always dependant on the paper as well).

A3 size is the usual which then need to be mounted (then framed depending on recipient as above) - not cheap.

Dougie.

Epson desktop A2 and A3 printers tend to come with a roll feed attachment to allow you to print from a roll of paper, thus allowing you to print longer than regular sheet size. I think the current ones are the P600 and P800.

From memory, the Canon PROGRAF printers also do but I seem to recall reading that they are limited the maximum length they will print to about a metre, however this should be enough for what you’re after.

If you’ve got deep pockets and a lot of room, then large format printers will print huge banners.

To be honest though, unless you’re going to be doing this regularly getting the photos done by a lab is probably going to be more cost effective as the running costs of inkjet printers is quite considerable. Printing at home does give you the option of using different papers etc as well as the immediacy of having a print in your hand when you want, but having run A3 printers for the last 10 years I can confirm it is an expensive way of doing things.

Epson desktop A2 and A3 printers tend to come with a roll feed attachment to allow you to print from a roll of paper, thus allowing you to print longer than regular sheet size. I think the current ones are the P600 and P800.

From memory, the Canon PROGRAF printers also do but I seem to recall reading that they are limited the maximum length they will print to about a metre, however this should be enough for what you’re after.

Prograf-1000 is up to 1.2m with firmware upgrade - but no roll option, so you would have to cut from a roll.

An Epson printer with roll feed option is probably the most cost effective solution. - for 'home' printing.

Back