12 Year Old TIFF - Can't Open?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm trying to open a 12 year old Tiff from a DVD+R disc. I can see the TIFF icons and drag them to Photoshop, but is causing PS to crash. Same with iMac Preview. Have managed to drag to desktop but still unable to open from there. Is there a way of opening them?

If is causing the various progeams to crash then the file could be corrupt for some reason.

The other way is to drag it to the desktop and rename it as a .JPEG file and see if it can be opened.

If that fails no idea, sorry.

I no longer store any photos on record able media like DVD, CD's or Blu-rays unless spending out on archive quality media. It not even staying away from unknown makes.
The dye used fades over time, even just a few years in some.

I would use magnetic hard drives for long term storage and keep them in a cool, dry place and multiple copies as well. It depends how much the photos are worth to you.

Even some cheap external hard drives are prone to failure.

I would try and see if you can copy any photos off the dvd's you have.

I would copy them from the DVD to the hard drive of your computer and check that the file sizes are the same, that would at least give you a clue as to whether the problem is reading the DVD or the TIFF file format.

<crosspost with @seaodyssey ... />

Also try on a different DVD reader, if possible.

Also try Irfanview image package (free). It copes with a lot of formats, and might cope with that. Consider also a data recovery program in case it can repair the file.

I wonder if Adobes DNG converter will read it? Nothing to lose trying.

Hello Andrew,

A bit of a long shot but send it to me and I will try using various Linux Progs, unfortunately if it's corrupt you've had it ! PM sent

In the end I just dragged it into iMac Photos and from there to PS. It worked. Reduced in size and Jpeg but at least it opened.

Thanks for all the advice though.

Back