120 - on the cheap :)

Edit My Images
Yes
so - I am just about to start my steps into 120

I dont have a 120 scanner,

So - I need , from buying film - to dev and scan to CD - cheapest options available at the moment.

I am considering getting a scanner soon, but that's a whole nother thread ! I've heard of having to stich MF scans etc :confused: - dont want to be doing that !

Cheap, well I guess that film is about £2.50 a roll (HP5 from Mathers) and processing in Rodinal is about 25p per film Fixer about the same so about £3 a roll for me.
I buy colour Fuji 400 120 at £2.50 a roll but pay £2.99 for dev only so a little more for colour.
I had a V500 already (wife's work) so scanning is cheap.

It's expensive without a scanner, but it is possible to get colour negs just developed for £2.50-£3.

hmmm ... home made neg scanner needed ! :LOL:

My Local chemist (Hurns in Norwich) does it for me for £2.99 uncut or £7.50 on 6"x6" optically produced paper prints.
Jessops (Norwich) charged me £3.99 but did them in 1hr and gave me a free 35mm Fuji film!
Mark

Last edited:
where are you developing your colour 120 film for £2.50-£3?

No complaints for this company http://www.snapsphotoservices.com/page_2170585.html
and
Haven't tried these yet
http://www.photos2you.co.uk/info_prices.asp
http://www.photos2you.co.uk/

These prices are very good but what ruins it is the expensive postal charges. So for snapsphotosevices I posted 5 films together and received the negs in my letter box for a total of £16....erm so depending on the winners you get is proportional to the cost of using medium format? OR if it's a hobby who cares about the expense? ;)

before i had my own 120 scanner i used to put film on a lightbox and shoot it with my digital camera. pretty good results and arguably as good as my scanner, but without the resolution :)

before i had my own 120 scanner i used to put film on a lightbox and shoot it with my digital camera. pretty good results and arguably as good as my scanner, but without the resolution :)

That old trick (I had forgotten about!) seems to be my best shot :)

Thanks for the reminder (y)

and with a 5DII - the copy will be 1:1 for 35mm , so not too bad for 120

I'll get building a light box ...

Cheers :D

Light box? wassup with a window, sheet of cardboard with a 120-sized hole and sellotape?

Light box? wassup with a window, sheet of cardboard with a 120-sized hole and sellotape?

Does this really work? If so what kind of file size/resolution do you end up with?

Simple is sometimes best (y)

Andy

'course it works - waddya think a slide replicator is? I mean OK, no lens but the included one but... that's to maintain accurate focus really, nowt else. Best to point at the sky though else you get ghosts of your window panorama coming through a less-dense neg :LOL:

I do have a light box but before that I used to use a glass table with a white peice of card underneath and an off camera flash bouncing off the white card. Or if no glass table then a piece of glass from a picutre frame on an upside down stool, or even a couple of piles of books!

Back