120 question

Edit My Images
No
havnt seen any dumb questions in this film forum yet so here it comes ............. i have just nicked sorry borrowed a ricohmatic 225 from my brother .i have just got an ilford delta 100 and loaded it , there is even a possibility i have got it in properly , now when i have used it and have taken the film out i am going to try and develope it , now :D do i have to seperate some sort of paper backing from the film proper before i wind it on the spool ?? hopefully i wont screw it up , but its only a test run so nothing good on it to lose ,. thanks for any replies Andy

LOL Yep. As you wind the 120 film onto the developing tank reel, you remove the backing paper at the same time. It sorts of winds itself into a separate coil as you load the film.

Nip into Jessops or somewhere similar and see if you can beg some outdated 120 films. Practice a lot with the old film before you try it for real. Old film is great for practicing loading and unloading the camera too.

thank you very much . im ok with 35mm but i understand the 120 is a bit more difficult . im going to take pictures of the wife with it so it dosent matter if it all goes wobbly bits up .

Make sure the spiral is absolutely dry. Unlike 35mm film, 120 film doesn't have the perforations for those little bearings on the reel to lock into and assist the ratchet action so it can be tricky.

Round off the sharp corners of the 120 film with a pair of scissors which helps prevent sticking. Using a graphite pencil to lubricate the spirals can be a big help too.

Have fun! :D

Back