18-200 lens...?

Name
Stevie
Edit My Images
No
Oh well I am swithering again about buying an SLR...I have a Panasonic FZ30...Hybrid but with 24-350mm lens, manual focus ring...

Having been used to shooting with one lens ...I was wondering if anyone had used this 18-200mm...with multiplication factors of approx x1.5 on a Canon/Nikon I wonder if this would fill my needs...

Will the lens focus well across the full range...basically is this a usable setup...?

IE

Canon EOS 500D+EF-S 18-200 IS Lens

or

BRAND NEW Canon EOS 50D + EF-S 18-200 IS Kit Lens

I love my Pannie...it does have its probs...but most can be worked around...so parting would would have to be feasible...

All comments welcome...

STEVIER

I moved from a FZ20 to a 40D and sigma 18-200 ( canon hadn't released their's at the time ) and found this to have a similar range. I have not used the FZ30 but from the FZ20 there was a huge difference.

If I were you I would go for the 50d if you can, the 5000 might not be such a huge jump and you might regret it. Depends what you like shooting but I have found having 6.5 frames a second really good eg if you shoot birds, airshows or motorsport.

If I were you go into a shop and have a play as they will feel very different in your hands. I would also take a memory card and take some pics using the different cameras and then compare them at home.

Good luck

I moved from a bridge camera to a 40D with a Canon 18-200mm lens. Although I have many other lenses now the 18-200mm stays on my camera as a walkabout lens. Picture quality is far better than the bridge camera. You dont have to get rid of the bridge camera it will be useful to take with you if you are worried about damage or losing the dslr. My bridge is always in my car.

I think you will find the 50D much more comfortable to hold than the 500D

The latest issue (cover date 27th June 2009) of Amateur Photographer has a head to head comparison of the Canon EF-S 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 IS against the Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Asph (IF). Anyone torn between the 2 lenses could do worse than buy a copy and read the article.

Back