1992 - the Black and White period

Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are some more of my 1992 slide shots, converted to B&W in Lightroom. I was trying to get an old world, but not grainy, look.

I've not done a lot of B&W conversions, so any comments and criticisms welcome.

Cheers

043 by MJWC1, on Flickr

035 by MJWC1, on Flickr

011 by MJWC1, on Flickr

015-Edit by MJWC1, on Flickr

I think that these are actually rather nice conversions (y) though they're maybe a little flat so a boost of contrast would help that front (y)

Also don't forget TPDay2012 a day for the entire forum to come together to showcase our talents in one big day of photo's, click the logo in my signature to get more details and sign up

Matt
MWHCVT

Much appreciated, thanks Matt - both for the comment and the (just slightly shameless) plug!

Here are some more of my 1992 slide shots, converted to B&W in Lightroom. I was trying to get an old world, but not grainy, look.

I've not done a lot of B&W conversions, so any comments and criticisms welcome.

Cheers

Very nice indeed... the Mossman River in FNQ is it? I think I've got a shot very like it from 2008. Would love to spend more time there; we were in and out quite fast as it was late.

It's a little hard to judge quality at that resolution; did you save them at max 640? I find if you save them on Flickr (Photobucket, whatever) at max1024, they get downsized to 800 but look much better.

What did you use for the conversions (presumably just LR rather than a plugin, or you would have said)? Any particular settings, trying for yellow or red filters?

Thanks very kindly for your comments, Chris.

You're right - it is the Mossman River. Amazingly beautiful area. In my memory I had shot the two rolls of slide one after the other, but must have shot the first one around Northern NSW/Southern Queensland (the Tweed Heads Post Office shot is a dead giveaway) and then some negative film in between. Must find those negatives one day...

It looks like I uploaded to Flickr at 1993 x 1340. I posted the BB Code that comes up from the standard Flickr view (if that makes sense).

Processing was just in Lightroom, really just playing around with curves and levels. For instance, the first one had very little done, other than pulling back the highlights and lights and pushing up the darks and shadows. The second one had an exposure increase, an increase in recovery and fill light, a contrast boost and some sharpening.

Back