1D mark 4 is it that much better?

Name
PHILIP
Edit My Images
No
I know this should go in the gear section but I'm specifically interested in the advantages of this model over it's predecessor when it comes to shooting sports.

Not really bothered about its video capabilities or anything, I'm more interested in the noise performance and AF etc. Basically anything that would benefit shooting football.

easy answer...yes!

Have only had mine for a month, so still exploring, but I have been very very pleased with the lack of noise at high ISO's in comparison to my 1D Mk iin. No problems with AF experienced so far.

1/2 to 2/3rds of a stop better possibly than a MKIII but in todays economic climate certainally not worth the difference in price, a good MKIII with low mileage will set you back as little as £1300 but a new MKIV is way over £3,300

1/2 to 2/3rds of a stop better possibly than a MKIII but in todays economic climate certainally not worth the difference in price, a good MKIII with low mileage will set you back as little as £1300 but a new MKIV is way over £3,300

Ok what about cropping ability and image quality. Don't get me wrong I am happy with my 1D mark 3 however I just wanted to see what the extra cash can get you.

When shooting under floodlights I was thinking if my images would look better from a 1D4:thinking:

:LOL: to the point as ever Tony.

But in what way?

you already listed in what way.. you asked if af and iso is better.. i answered yes :)

OK here goes....
I paid out 10 months ago as soon as they where available and it cost me about 2.5k after selling a mkIII .. For that 2.5k I realisticly got higher iso and more MP and it was worth it ... so much so that I am currently trying to replace my other mkIII with a mkIV

I used Kieran's last week and the ISO abilities are just much better, plus with it being a 16.1MP sensor you can crop a lot more and still get a reasonable image.

AF I found to be much more consistent than the mkIII and that was straight "out of the box" as it were...had I had more time to finetune the settings to my preferences then it'd be absolutely stunning.

Are you going to buy one though James?

Big improvement in the LCD screen as well

I find that a pain.. its such an improvement that the pictures look too good and then can be a dissapointment when you get home because they nowhere near stand up to whats on screen when shooting under poor light confitions.. I would rather get a true idea..

Especially if you're not a full time pro or trying to be one.

Eventually...I've been doing sums and looking at exchange rates etc. I'll be wanting one around xmas time, possibly just after.

Don't leave it too long after Christmas. The 20% VAT rate kicks in on Jan 1st.

Thought about hiring one for a day and testing it out?
Its not going to be any worse then then mkIII, but will give you a real life experience and help you decide if the £3k hit (or around £2k if you sell your mkIII) is worth it or not.

Thought about hiring one for a day and testing it out?.

I know I didnt need to.. it looks and feels exact same as a mKIII and given it does have extra MP and it is better iso.. not much to test ..For my usage anyways :)

I know I didnt need to.. it looks and feels exact same as a mKIII and given it does have extra MP and it is better iso.. not much to test ..For my usage anyways :)

:LOL: But you arent the op ;)

I admit i want one, but thats because i already miss my MkII and because as far as cameras go, i'm like a spoilt child! :LOL:

Back